Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Submenu, Furnaces Submenu  (Read 467 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Building Submenu, Furnaces Submenu
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »

For the life of me, I quit one game because I thought I was doing something wrong and didn't see the furnaces in the workshops.  Only until I read a wiki that it was accessed by using b (for build) and e (for furnaces), and e is not listed in the building menu!

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Submenu, Furnaces Submenu
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »

For the life of me, I quit one game because I thought I was doing something wrong and didn't see the furnaces in the workshops.  Only until I read a wiki that it was accessed by using b (for build) and e (for furnaces), and e is not listed in the building menu!
It is; your just not cool enough to use - or +, or to use the wiki with df open; it's what people do when confused. Button mashing also works, you can get some weird stuff that way.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:41:16 pm »

Build menu could definitely use some organization... unfortunately for those who haven't spent the dozens of hours it takes to become fluent in DF, the interface isn't a very high priority (although Toady and ThreeToe are definitely aware that it's an issue)

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

Well, there are three big categories of buildings.  Furniture, machinery and workshops.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to divide them on different keys.

I don't know which should they be, since they're all pretty used up.

Maybe W for burrows, w for Workshops, M for Military and m for machines and f for furniture.

It would make smaller menues with less to navigate.  And well, you don't have to look up for the actual thing in between some other unsorted stuff.

Nonetheless, I find it funny (because I feel stupid) and fun (because it is) to go thru the menues looking for stuff I'm not used to build.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:38 pm »

and Constructions.

The problem right now is that there are too many workshops and not enough identifiable letters for them.  K for a Clothiers just doesn't pan well.  Zfor a Kitchen is worse.  Only way I know them is that I've looked it up enough times to memorize it.

Workshops need to be better organized, yes.  It's probably not worth doing until the final list is completed, but what would make sense for what we have now?  Putting all the furnaces and forges together would make sense, somewhat.  Organizing by profession group makes sense, except for anything that may span more than one group.

Best yet, would be an xml structure in the raws which defines the menus.  It would allow community organization of buildings in mods.  Take the work away from Toady on something that really needs a bit of beta tweaking.  Is this how it already works?  I'm not familiar with modding.  How do custom buildings list in the menus, if at all?