Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make df2010 harder?  (Read 658 times)

schedal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to make df2010 harder?
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:15:48 pm »

Hello there folks, I've been looking for a way to make df2010 harder; but not necessarily "totally different". I liked the idea of adding orcs, but that mod is for 40d and not df2010. Is there a good mod I can install in df2010 to make it more challenging? I've tried to start at an evil location, with no wood and a double-layered aquifer. So: it's annoying having to import wood all the time, but other than that, my fortress has no challenges... not fun playing a game when there is nothing to keep you sharp! How many years do I have to wait for a siege? I'ts been years of only the odd kobold thief, and between my dogs and my 20 army units, they just die to run away immediately.. i've never had a siege or anything remotely challenging happen.

BTW, if creatures could actually destroy 'walls' and not just buildings, there might be some interesting later-game attacks.

Also, what do I need to do to make enemies siege me?

It would be great when you gen a world if you just had a simple "difficulty" setting. I'd say right now the game is only challenging if you don't use the wiki to figure out stuff, but if you read-up on how to build things, the biggest challenge you face is not digging up into an aquifer...

Are there any mods that help difficulty with df2010?

How can i convert a d40 mod to a df2010? is this very hard to do or is there a guide that helps someone do that conversion?

Best,

Seb.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make df2010 harder?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

you can try increasing the body size of adult goblins to 300000 and giving them building destroyer 2... that'll make it MUCH harder.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:05:34 pm »

Also, what do I need to do to make enemies siege me?
Reduce advancement step requirement from goblin civ will make them siege sooner.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »

I believe you need to have 80 dwarves minimum for sieges.  You also need to be in contact with (and at war with, which should be automatic) the goblin civilization.  Have you explored your caverns, dealt with your Alzheimers Animals and found cotton candy and HFS clowns yet?  If your FPS allows you may also want to stake out a larger claim to increase your chances of finding a clown college

warning: above links involve mild to massive spoilers (spoiler level increases for each link). 
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

fledermaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »

Try the Fortress Defense mod. It adds a lot of hostile civs that siege early and often.