Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6850 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

Pretty soon we'll reach that singularity.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »

I remember just four years ago you could get a 512 MB USB stick for five dollars, now you can get 2 GB for the same price. Technology moves fast, doesn't it?
Not only cheaper, but the same size stick, or even smaller.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2010, 07:25:35 pm »

PSU wattage doesn't mean shit if it's from a shit company and isn't 80+ certified. You're just wasting energy. A good PSU at 650W 80+ certified is better than 1000W from some no-name brand company that's probably 60 or less.

I only like Seasonic, Corsair (branded seasonic), antec... etc - never had ANY problems or anything fail in years of using and reusing them.

I've had to deal with customers and heard plenty of stories of computers blowing up, case fires, bad PSUs frying all the other components, and such though.

PSU is simply the most important part of a computer, then motherboard. THEN cpu and gpu.
Seems like EVERYONE is lazy. This isn't a bad brand; they ARE 80+ certified, they HAVE enough ampers, they DON'T make shit.
I actually do a little research on my parts.
The models that come bundled with Chieftec system cases are rather typical entry-level power supplies. The biggest problem with them is that they do not match the class of the system case they sell together with. These PSUs would be perfect in cheaper and compact system cases for office computers, but it is ridiculous having four SATA power plugs in a huge Big Tower case. If such a power supply suits you fine, there is no point in buying a Big Tower. But you will probably have to replace the bundled PSU if you’ve bought the system case for an appropriate configuration.

Besides, the three models are all based on Delta Electronics’ platform which is known to be incompatible with UPSes (this was confirmed in my test, too). And the junior two models (400W and 450W) also proved to be quite noisy.

The Turbo Power series products are based on a widespread platform from Channel Well. It is good indeed, and the PSUs have excellent electrical parameters and reasonable noisiness, but this platform actually sells under about half the brands present on today’s PSU market. The manufactures can only distinguish their products with design and functionality, and Chieftec is no good in this respect, equipping its expensive 850W power supply with only four SATA connectors. Why? I just don’t know. An extra cable included into the box would cost a trifle. And the user would have the choice of using or not using it since the PSU has detachable cables.

Of course, you can always use adapters, but why if the opponent products cost the same money and offer six to eight SATA connectors?

Thus, it is only the Super Power series that I can find impeccable, except for UPS incompatibility (but not all users have UPSes). These PSUs are very good, delivering high output power and excellent electrical parameters. They are quiet and have a normal selection of connectors which will suit not only a home/gaming PC but also a workstation or even a small file server.
Brand research?

ONLY ONE of their lines is any good, the top tier one, and the most expensive.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2010, 07:44:44 pm »

PSU wattage doesn't mean shit if it's from a shit company and isn't 80+ certified. You're just wasting energy. A good PSU at 650W 80+ certified is better than 1000W from some no-name brand company that's probably 60 or less.

I only like Seasonic, Corsair (branded seasonic), antec... etc - never had ANY problems or anything fail in years of using and reusing them.

I've had to deal with customers and heard plenty of stories of computers blowing up, case fires, bad PSUs frying all the other components, and such though.

PSU is simply the most important part of a computer, then motherboard. THEN cpu and gpu.
Seems like EVERYONE is lazy. This isn't a bad brand; they ARE 80+ certified, they HAVE enough ampers, they DON'T make shit.
I actually do a little research on my parts.
The models that come bundled with Chieftec system cases are rather typical entry-level power supplies. The biggest problem with them is that they do not match the class of the system case they sell together with. These PSUs would be perfect in cheaper and compact system cases for office computers, but it is ridiculous having four SATA power plugs in a huge Big Tower case. If such a power supply suits you fine, there is no point in buying a Big Tower. But you will probably have to replace the bundled PSU if you’ve bought the system case for an appropriate configuration.

Besides, the three models are all based on Delta Electronics’ platform which is known to be incompatible with UPSes (this was confirmed in my test, too). And the junior two models (400W and 450W) also proved to be quite noisy.

The Turbo Power series products are based on a widespread platform from Channel Well. It is good indeed, and the PSUs have excellent electrical parameters and reasonable noisiness, but this platform actually sells under about half the brands present on today’s PSU market. The manufactures can only distinguish their products with design and functionality, and Chieftec is no good in this respect, equipping its expensive 850W power supply with only four SATA connectors. Why? I just don’t know. An extra cable included into the box would cost a trifle. And the user would have the choice of using or not using it since the PSU has detachable cables.

Of course, you can always use adapters, but why if the opponent products cost the same money and offer six to eight SATA connectors?

Thus, it is only the Super Power series that I can find impeccable, except for UPS incompatibility (but not all users have UPSes). These PSUs are very good, delivering high output power and excellent electrical parameters. They are quiet and have a normal selection of connectors which will suit not only a home/gaming PC but also a workstation or even a small file server.
Brand research?

ONLY ONE of their lines is any good, the top tier one, and the most expensive.
Oh ok, you're not as bad as the others.
As a matter of fact, I am getting their top-tier one. And it's cheaper than every other PSU.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]