Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Breaking a Canyon Aquifier  (Read 2290 times)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking a Canyon Aquifier
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:27:58 pm »

If I understand the aquafer issues correctly, the aquafer is acting as though the tiles of the waterfall are mined out? If so, building stairs down in the middle of the canyon and walls next to the all the offending aquafer tiles would stop the flow.
My preferred method would be to use as many grates as needed to provide places to walk, and just enough floors to support the grates.

Another possible way would be to mine out the entire aquafer.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 04:51:44 am »

So I've managed to get the passage dug and smoothed, mostly. All's left is two tiles wide worth of wet stone. 270 sandstone grates and 236 sandstone floors will make it up when done. The river claimed 38 dwarves during the building; a goblin invasion a few moments ago killed 15 dwarves before being sent off, mostly thanks to the 64 war dogs that were milling about, only 7 of which survived.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:55:05 am »

Nice.

But I think your dwarves are unhappy  :P
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:34 pm »

Yeah, tantrum spiral forced me to abandon and return with new dwarves. At least now there isn't dog blood and pus all over the passage.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »

How did the river claim 38? Anything that building walls along the sides of the crossing wouldn't stop?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:53 am »

Dwarves not making it to the stairwell that I dug to the river bottom before they drowned. They'd get washed into holes in the floor I was building with grates and the two strips of constructed flooring, washed in by the water pouring out of the ceiling and walls. The farther in I got, the longer the trek to the stairs, and the less likely they'd survive. I could probably have avoided the deaths by building a swimming pool first, but eh. Armok demands blood.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:53:03 am »

Very dwarfy. Good job.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:56 pm »

Dwarves not making it to the stairwell that I dug to the river bottom before they drowned. They'd get washed into holes in the floor I was building with grates and the two strips of constructed flooring, washed in by the water pouring out of the ceiling and walls. The farther in I got, the longer the trek to the stairs, and the less likely they'd survive. I could probably have avoided the deaths by building a swimming pool first, but eh. Armok demands blood.
Oh. Did you think to leave a few spaces open with up-ramps so they can get back up? I'd like to replicate the epicness, but I don't like high bodycounts. I hadn't considered that building under an aquafer would leave you open to water from above as well as from the sides; Considering that, I would have made the corridor as tall as needed to carve/smooth away the aquifer above it. Unless... do you get crazy happy thoughts for walking down that corridor? Or at least get the blood washed off?
Pages: 1 [2]