Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does your fortress build-up/routine go?  (Read 1466 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does your fortress build-up/routine go?
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:32:47 am »

Here's a thread for everyone to post your build-up, either go by seasons, years, or real-time days to give people an idea at time line.

For me my first day/year is spent on just making a home with craftworks, carpentry, farming, wood furnace, and smelting going. 
Building up a mass stockpile room, with little stockpiles by everyone's workplace. 
I also mass murder the forest, build dorms, and noble rooms. Also dwarfs that show extraordinary talent but aren't nobles get there own personal rooms too. 

Year 2, now i always start in an evil area, or someplace far away from good places; so usually i'm just now seeing traders; which means the first 2 years my migrations have been 3 or 4 dwarfs each.  So i'll start up a 4 man barracks at least, 2 archers and 2 fighters.  (everyone get's different weapons)

Once i see my trader, i get all the items i'm not flourishing with; but usually caged animals, leather, cheaper weapons, i usually have around 4000 in crafts by now after it's 2nd year).
Also start on leather armor, but iron weapons, mass smelting, digging deeper seeing if i can score a magma shaft.
Also build my outdoor fortress wall, with rooms and hallways; bridges and cage traps :D.

Now i'm on to year 3, which is mostly the same in year 2 but just more of everything, start getting into steel even.  And if i scored magma I have a mass smelting/ weapon/ armors going on.  If not, well i just specialize what i do build and go for quality. At about this point I don't really know how to evolve, so i'm seeing what you guys do.

How does your routine end up being?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: How does your fortress build-up/routine go?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:57:45 am »

I just started a fort with 0 skills, and very few items. Just 2 picks, an axe, an anvil, about 60 booze, and the rest was female cats with one male. I plan to be the KITTEN BONE FORT. with kitten bone crossbows, kitten bone bolts, and maybe even kitten bone armour.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Normally? Start with normallish dwarves/starting gear, go for mass deforestation into a mass digging for my iron industry, set up farms/booze production, and mediocre rooms. Build up a stonecrafting industry to feed the caravans, use metal for weaponry and armour, with wood for bins, barrels, and beds.

Don't get a steel industry till about year 5ish, cuz that is about how long it usually takes to do a magma-pumpstack up from the sea that is powered by a wind-farm. Shortly afterwards, will get into adamantine as well.

Outer fortress is usually just a massive lumber stockpile with a moated-wall around the outside, and archery towers on top. Front gate is guarded by warbears for thief/snatcher detection with a drawbridge to close in case of siege. Also set up a side-door hall filled with traps of DOOM that leads to ballistae+barracks that is for invaders to use. Have my siege crews practice 24/7 with a pair of junk capapults in the mining shafts to clear out some more of my junk stone.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:28:50 am »

Year 1:Outpost pop.7~20
Mine out the main farm, dining hall, and food storage, and start producing plump helmets and sweet pods. They will kick in just as supplies start to dwindle. Dig initial housing for about 15 dwarves, the embark team and two small immigrant waves. These guys are going to get good housing to spread some cheer and general reputation. Start pumping out stone crafts for next spring's elven caravan. Set up Masonry, Carpentry, Crafter's and Mechanics shops, in addition to food shops.

Year 2:Fort pop.20~60
Set up smelter and metal smith. Begin work on cage and weapon traps. Carve out hospital, jailhouse, mortuary and graveyard, danger room, and a killing pit. Set up noble quarters for the new mayor, and the Captain of the Guard. Develop a military team from the large immigrant waves that arrive this year. Start work on a housing level.

Year 3:Town pop.60~100
Expand shop space to include every industry for mood dwarves, which will begin happening. Bolster the entrance traps with extra rows of weapons, finish arming/training a full squad for ambush security, and put them on quarterly patrols. Expand the living quarters to accomodate new arrivals. Begin harvesting goblinite.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:52:29 am by AngleWyrm »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 02:51:00 am »

Year 1:
2x2 living quarters (20)
bed (20)
bin (20)
barrel (20)
Build smelter, forge, masons, craftsdwarfs, kitchen, still, farmers workshop
Dig a 3-wide highway deep into the mountain / into the earth, add tables/chair to serve as a temporary dining room
Dig a 5x10 storage depot for food
tunnel into a pool from beneath to begin underground farming / begin farming on the surface / die slowly as I rapidly dig for the first cavern layer

dig out a lignite/coal vein, dig down and find a gold vein, crank out 10 bars worth of gold toys, instruments, crafts, and goblets for the first caravan

Search for a source of steel or copper+bronze, try to have a full set of armor produced by the midpoint of year 2
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 05:56:50 am »

Start off with mass deforestation (except in current fort, where I can harvest about 3 trees/year), mine out entrance, storage near entrance, and bedrooms (3x3) about 5-6 levels down (staircase gives me a good look at likely minerals).

Carpenter, mason and mechanic.  Doors, beds and a few cages + mechanisms, for cage traps at entrance. Jewellers and craftshop when suitable, but working hard before first merchants. 

Next the game is a race to keep stockpiles and bins, and drinks, food and barrels in check.  Develop forges - if magma about, then this is a priority, if not ,find coal, etc, etc.

Very rarely do I have trees, coal, iron and magma, so steel is a bit rare usually.  But then it's mining out everywhere I can...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:58:26 am »

i usually start out with the main area with just a minimal entrance ...

laying down the farm first one level below so i can channel half of the roof for making it viable for outside crops ..(usually 3*3 squares times 8 for outdoor and indoor plants each) then i design the basic dinnerroom and the food storage that untill all is done will be wood storage+crafting+ stockpile area ...

outside woodcutting the whole area and start collecting plants while the digg only miner work

when farm channel is finished i dig out a channel above the underground section for later irrigation .. roof the channeled part and start planting outside stuff...

when thats done i find a good spot for a well and digg down to riverlevel or straight to cavern/aquifer to setup well asap

depending on area and soil the whole project is done until end of summer record was 3rd month of spring

when all the above is done its time to set up an early dorm with 4 beds somewhere ..start the irigation and setup the main entrance/walloff the makeshift small one .. then step by step dinner area forge area and living quarters are to be set up ..multileveled most time

early cagetraps in the main tunnel + outside area to catch animals and early invaders .. rest then is going depending on ore findings and or abushes .. on high enemy games with fortress defense a large wall-in is due  untill first winter ends
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:59:58 am by schussel »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:06:39 am »

Year 1 Spring:

Dig down to the magma sea, prepare some channels to power magma forges at sea level. Also get farms setup.

Year 1 Summer:

Have metal/glass industry going. Bit slow because of a lack of dwarves.

Year 2:

Get defences and accommodation setup. Magma-powered industry is booming.

Year 5:

FPS death due to too many metal/glass/cloth goods. Quit.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:07:06 am »

My latest fort.

Day 1.   Strike the Earth, Erect the wall.
Day 2.   Build a bridge that goes to a ramp, when bridge is retracted there is no way out of the fort, entirely walled.  This will keep us safe from Skeletons.
Year 1.  Struggling along with a small population, barely keeping up with food, no real trade going yet, trying to get smelters going, though perfect Hematite/Limonite/Lignite/Coal/Limestone/Marble layers below us.
Migrant Wave 3..... OMG!  They just keep coming!  We are doomed!

And.... that's as far as I've got.  I just had one of those epic migrant waves turn up and completely change the dynamics of the fort.
Several zombie incursions have been beaten back by Marksmen firing from the 2nd level of fortifications on the tower.  But no serious attacks yet.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 08:13:36 am »

1. mine ores and gems
2. get lots of immigrants
3. improvise
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »

First priority is usually to dig out a dining room and barracks, either temporary or permanent depending on the fortress layout. Then I dig out the food stockpile and kitchens, usually near the dining room, and turn all the milk I brought into cheese, following which I cook the cheese into meals so I can trade in the fall. After that I usually try to get farming up, either with irrigation or by breading the caverns, and then after that I work on a trade industry(metal, cloth or glass, depending on the map and migrants I have gotten).

Usually have all this done by the end of the first year.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

Usually:

Mine a hole, chop trees if I didn't bring wood, deconstruct the wagon and make an everything stockpile in the hole I just dug (usually in a soil hill or somewhere that will get removed later, it could also be the entrance hall.)

Build carpenter, mason, kitchen and brewery in the hole once they will fit.  Possibly kennel too if my leader isn't doing anything, to train the war dogs ASAP.

Make 2 buckets, 6 beds, then bins and barrels on repeat at the carpenter's.  Make stone tables and chairs, possibly doors if the area is hostile and then blocks to train the mason.  Start flooding a soil area with the buckets to create the first farm, build the beds tables and chairs and make a dining hall (this stops dorfs/animals hanging about where the wagon was..)

Set up the farm once there's a 4x4 or 5x5 area with mud.  Put a seed-only stockpile next to the farm, cancel seeds on the other stockpile.

At this point I have everything necessary to survive, so I start digging/planning the fortress project while my non-mining dorfs idle and take care of the food/booze.  Sometimes I'll set up the butcher and tanner and get some free meat from the pack animals, sometimes I'll set up magma smelters on the volcano lip if there is one.  They'll live like this for 2 years or more, with the only luxury being an expanded dorm/dining hall once the mason and carpenter get experienced.  When the main fortress is ready I'll have everything removed/dumped, a support built and the walls dug away from the ceiling, then boom, no more temporary site.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »

After embark...
Before anything else, I pause the game and designate areas to be dug. First is the farm plots, usually 3 5x5 rooms. Then refuse pile, meeting/dining halls.
While the miners are digging, I have my carpenter build beds/barrels and my mechanic make mechanisms.

When the miners are done, I start making bedrooms. Usually, the first wave of migrants arrive by this time and I draft some dwarves. Those dwarves train until I feel they are fit (forever)
During the time bedrooms are being built, I start my steel/metal industry, making weaponry, armor, trap components, etc. I try to have all my defenses set up before the 2nd dwarf caravan.

Then I just dig straight down for the magma, blue metal and hidden fun stuff. Or prepare for goblin attacks.