Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Completely lost on installing on a Mac  (Read 1573 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completely lost on installing on a Mac
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 07:09:42 pm »

DF since 0.31.01 is incompatible with non-Intel Macs. (So is WINE, unfortunately.) If your Mac is PowerPC, then that is your problem.

I don't know how this can be rectified, sadly.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:30 pm »

Mac user here. Actually it's been since 0.31.13.

When Toady moved to the new compiler starting in 0.31.13, Mac users have been having alot of complications. Those that use Tiger and Snow Leopard in paticular. The new compiler hates those OSs it seems.

Your only chance is to find a mac version of 0.31.12.... or use wine if you want to play DF now.

Toady is still trying to solve this problem, but there's no idea when or even if this'll be resolved.

And yes, I now had to switch back to Crossover thanks to the complications I suffered with the new version. So don't be afraid to use wine. It's going to likely be needed now with the new versions. (and yes this'll mean downloading the PC version of DF)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:20:05 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 08:23:18 pm »

10.4 and 10.5 are having problems, snow leopard (10.6) works fine, afaik for everyone.

This new compiler seems to not like older OS versions. There may not be a whole lot for him to do that doesn't take work disproportionate to the number of affected users.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

RisnDevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »

Is there a reason why you're still on 10.4?

Yes.  I am in Afghanistan, and leave the newer, nicer laptops with my wife while I'm here.  As such, this one doesn't have the power needed to even upgrade to Leopard; I know, I've tried.

For now, I think I will try to find 0.31.12 just to see if I like the game (going through all this trouble based off of a recommendation).  If I enjoy it, I might go a different route to make it work.  Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 09:17:21 pm »

That is a good reason :)  I'm glad you are going to this length to try it out. I suggest reading a fun story (from older versions of DF) to get yourself warmed up.

ie http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/Introduction/ (very old 2d version, but most epic)

Might be worth seeing if anyone has tried 10.6 on your model rather than 10.5. It is faster, so it might do better on older hardware.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »

DF since 0.31.01 is incompatible with non-Intel Macs. (So is WINE, unfortunately.) If your Mac is PowerPC, then that is your problem.

I don't know how this can be rectified, sadly.

It's .16, not .01.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 02:30:16 pm »

No, everything after .12 is incompatible with PPC macs.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2]