Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What now?  (Read 682 times)

letmeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What now?
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:22 pm »

Finally got a successful fort going, after 4 tries, one of them lasting only about 10 minutes. I got a decent magma forge going, laid traps all around the hallways, have 200 food/drinks stocked up , got a 10 person military, and a basic hospital, now what do I do with my fort? Goblins where on the embark screen, but after a few seasons I still havn't been attacked. How do I get someone to siege me or anything? Also what do I do with all these kittens/children?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:35:00 pm by letmeon »

Eradacater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:37:57 pm »

Magma Begets happiness which begets fun, Which in turn leads to FUN!!
So what are you waiting for let them cats go for a swim.
Lava trap = Fun
Drowning trap = fun
Fight pit = fun
Orbital magma cannon = more fun than most can handle

Xaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:10 pm »

smooth and engrave EVERYTHING. make every dwarf a room with items that they enjoy in it. lots of things to do.

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:05 pm »

See how far down you can dig. I seem to have the most !Fun! when I do that.
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:00 pm »

Megaproject time, and wait for the gobbos after that.

Atomsmash caged kittens and uncaged children (after the legendary dining room with magma-falls is up)

Or find and mine the blue stuff.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:07:12 am »

Build a few forges and smelters and get your dwarves trained up in skills for them.

I like to restrict workshop profiles to only one dwarf each, then only use them for certain purposes. Just keep knocking out the smallest objects you can until they reach legendary status. Then you can start pimping out your military or making really expensive trade items.

My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:10:22 am »

Equip and train every dwarf in your fortress as some kind of soldier.  Different uniforms for the reserves, enlisted, and officers.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:04:32 am »

Children, cats? Death.

Construct a death chamber of repeating spikes.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

letmeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:09 am »

Can I somehow use cheats to make enemies spawn, because I think I embarked onto a spot without them, and I spent alot of time on this fortress. Or are there any ways to find enemies besides them ambushing you?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:08:51 am »

Can I somehow use cheats to make enemies spawn, because I think I embarked onto a spot without them, and I spent alot of time on this fortress. Or are there any ways to find enemies besides them ambushing you?

Dig down into the caverns.

There you may find the fight you seek.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:39 am »

Trap, capture, trip and fling merchants around.  Very entertaining, you get to loot their stuff, and eventually they might attack you...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:11 am »

300 foot tall solid gold working urinal.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.