Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Shortswords... working or not?  (Read 935 times)

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Shortswords... working or not?
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »

I embarked to a location with a convenient layer of obsidian, chopped some wood and proceeded to have my stonecrafter create a few dozen obsidian shortswords, making sure to limit stone use to obsidian only in the stone Z-menu. Then I abandoned the location and got a new adventurer out there to scavenge up some of the loot and test the swords. Every one that I tested seemed to act more like very weak blunt weapons (bruises, glancing blows) against critters and other humanoids. They also seemed to be very light for swords supposedly made of obsidian (1 as opposed to the 4 or 5 for normal bronze/iron swords).

I've run this test for the last couple releases, and I'm not satisfied that obsidian shortswords have combat stats any different than the wooden training swords that "rock" short swords were creating a few releases ago. Is this bug confined to OSSs used in adventure mode or are they still bugged in dwarf fortress mode as well? I checked in Arena mode and they aren't available for easy testing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Obsidian Shortswords... working or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »

They also seemed to be very light for swords supposedly made of obsidian (1 as opposed to the 4 or 5 for normal bronze/iron swords).

Obsidian has the default stone density of 2670, which is only about 1/3 that of iron/bronze, so it's completely normal for them to be lightweight by comparison.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:40:07 pm »

obsidian is supposedly on par with steel, however I never see fit to make anything with it as wherever theres obsidian theres usually magma, and wherever magma is, I make steel.
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

Obsidian shortswords, if they're of high quality, are very cheap to produce and incredibly effective against unarmored targets.  Against armored targets, you'd be better off using your fists (at least then you could hope for a skull-shattering critical hit).
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:54 pm »

On 31.18, I recently had occasion to make and use obsidian swords against a goblin ambush in fortress mode. The whole squad had the swords, and the goblins were lightly armored. The swords seemed effective enough at lopping things off.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »

My Entire Army & guards are armed with them, so I hope so :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.