Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Am I antisocial, or do people just suck, both? Honest question.  (Read 5541 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Am I antisocial, or do people just suck, both? Honest question.
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

Life Advice is a section of the forum, and where this thread should be moved to.

O.

Ok. How do I do that?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:04 pm »

The "Move Topic" button in the lower left.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:23 am »

Working and in school? How old are you? Advice varies depending on that. I used to be antisocial and have a grim outlook on humanity, but that's when high school is your only exposure to "people". You just need to talk to people. I don't care how. When you see someone who doesn't look like they're doing much, talk to them.

There isn't an excuse for not talking to them, you have social animal instincts. It doesn't matter what you say, because to others it's just as important THAT you say something.

I used to think everyone was an asshole, I was wrong. Assholes are a loud minority. How exactly do you find them to be assholes? Don't get philosophical about this, just what do people that you try to befriend do to make you think that.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

Clearly, you aren't nice enough to people.

Clearly you give people way too much. Don't offer to shine peoples shoes so much?
Its a great way to get a job, maybe even make a contact or two. But you do, or at least should, have your own priorities to pursue.

Other people have their own priorities, why are you making them all yours?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:18:03 am by eerr »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 12:31:27 am »

Clearly, you aren't nice enough to people.

Clearly you give people way too much. Don't offer to shine peoples shoes so much?
Its a great way to get a job, maybe even make a contact or two. But you do, or at least should, have your own priorities to pursue.

I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you.

I guess I don't have an answer for you generally. Specifically I'm obliged to save my partners in my trial advocacy class along with myself because we're all in the same boat. If those morons capsize it, then I go down too.... I would really just appreciate it if they started reading the materials now instead of right before the trial. It would help them fake knowing what they are doing far better.... Keep in mind, these "my daddy is rich" jerks may one day be your lawyers, that's right, the only thing between you and a jail cell.... *sigh*. Disgrace... to... the... profession....

If I had to guess.... I'd say its because I'm a problem solver. That's why I'm drawn to law (that and deceptive admissions officers who say 90% of graduates have a job after graduation but forget to tell you that figure includes the poor bastards working at Starbucks.... No really it's all right here:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress/nationaljurist1010/ ).

I'm really not sure. I'm going to have to figure that out huh?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tyrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 04:34:45 am »

People in groups tend to be much more likely to be jerks than when alone. I have plenty of antisocial tendencies myself, and the true difference is just where you get energy from. Extroverts gain energy from being around people, introverts, which is sounds like you and I are, get our energy from being alone. However, everyone needs people to some degree of another.

For you're problem, you should try and separate people into two categories, friends and networking contacts. Be nice, or at least polite, to everyone, even if you don't like them. Friends will grow closer for it and contacts, assholes or not, will be more likely to be useful to you in the future.

School can be an easy place to meet people, but not really the best. Depending on you're interests gaming shops can be hit or miss. Personally playing D&D taught be a lot about personal interaction, especially with people I didn't know very well.

Whatever you're beliefs, or lack-there-of, the right kind of church can be a fantastic place to meet people. Generally more charismatic and casual churches tend to have very friendly people and some even have groups designed for meeting new people.

In the end, be polite to everyone, the people that matter will appreciate it, don't let yourself be taken advantage of, but especially don't worry about getting taken advantage of, and always try to leave alone time to recharge.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

Yeah, I was an asshole at the beginning of whatever-you-call-it school, one and a half year ago, and pretty much everyone hated me.

After Christmas, I swapped to the art school class of a classmate o' mine. We became friends, and I became much less of an asshole.There are still a couple of people who hate me, the 'popular' ones. So, when alone with anyone but them, everyone's nice and all, but when in groups, or with the popular people around,  they officicially hate me.

It's quite annoying, really. I have a few friends though, and this guy I respect, who tells everyone positive things about me my back, but is always running me down to my face.

Yeah, I need sleep.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:59 pm »

I think you should just stick with your close friends.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:46:38 pm by Urist Mcinternetuser »
Pages: 1 2 [3]