Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Behold my *FORTRESS*  (Read 3180 times)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Behold my *FORTRESS*
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »

Nice, but I couldn't make anything like that. My computer would lag if I even thought about it. :)

I hope multi core support will be introduced soon.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:23 am »

This isn't a *fortress*. This is a ☼«☼Fortress☼»☼. Perhaps even an artifact. Congratulations, you're a Legendary +1 or better fortresssmith now. (tee hee, fortresssmith)

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 04:53:02 am »

I usually dig a chute straight down into the magma ocean for disposal of junk. If you drop something onto semi-molten rock, and there is magma on the semi-molten rock the object will instantly vanish from the game, just the same as if you chucked it into a chasm in 40D.

Curiously, if there is no magma on the semi-molten rock your dwarves will happily walk across it with no ill effects. It functions like regular ground in that case.

Turning temperature off will be a massive FPS boost, and if you rely on the semi-molten rock disposal method you can get rid of items without needing to worry about temperature at all.

I COULD do it that way, but this way my fortress is entirely self contained and isolate-able. The only ways for anything to get in are the main entrance (which can be sealed, twice), by spawning in the river (under the brook tiles) and coming in through the water system, or up from the cavern through the emergency drain hatches.

The surface of the entire world could be destroyed, and the only result would be a lack of fresh water, and my generators would eventually dry up. Also no more surface wood or exotic meats.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 05:50:16 am »

I was thoroughly impressed by your fort, Samoorai - particularly by the magma waterfall, that was a real sight. Here, you deserve this for your efforts:
Pages: 1 2 [3]