Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skippy gameplay  (Read 1205 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skippy gameplay
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »

My fortress, despite having very few dwarves and paths available, is getting rather skippy in FPS... short random pauses, etc.  This is very new, it was working fine before I reloaded the fort this morning and I've never had this in any other old version fort.  Ideas?

Pathing: my fortress has almost no mining operation, nice big coridoors, no unnecessary liquids and no access to the surface.

Activity: Of my 32 dwarves, about 4 are doing anything at any point in time; at the moment the rest have No Job.

Pets: None.  Animals all caged.

Random items: Minimal.  Almost all dumped and atom smashed.

FPS: it lags along at anywhere between 50 and 70, but for roughly half of the time it's frozen at 0.

Hell: not yet dug into, no sieges, cavern not yet discovered
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:15:36 pm by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skippy gameplay
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »

CPU usage is at 25%, but I have a quad core so I assume that means it's using one at 100%.  This is both during normal operation and spikes.  Memory is at 250mb.

edit: nevermind, none of the cores are above 50%.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:18:40 pm by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »

do you have temperature turned on and what is your biome?
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »

Yes, temperate.  River is frozen for about a season and comes with its own spike, I'm used to that.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:41:00 pm »

i had that issue on .17 .. do you use that version?

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »

I'm getting this aswell, it has only happened with my newest fort running 31.18

Running on an i7
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:38 pm »

i had that issue on .17 .. do you use that version?

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:52 am »

Getting worse as time goes on.  Enabling/disabling temp makes no difference.  With half of my dwarves idle and the other half stockpiling adamantine (this is about 10~ dwarves), my FPS averages out to about 10.  Normally under the current circumstances, I'd be over 90.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:22:30 am »

Hidden ambushers on the surface?  FBs fighting antmen in the caverns you haven't found?  Someone opening and closing a lever-operated door on repeat?

If you're stockpiling adamantine, are you sure you didn't puncture into hell somewhere by mistake and seal it off?  Check in runesmith what creatures are lurking.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:28:25 am »

Last time I had a choppy game like that, I ended up using Reveal to see what was causing it. It turned out that there were holes under the volcano and magma was dropping down trying to fill them. Perhaps there is a fluid issue on your map too, if you don't have a volcano then chack around the magma sea.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:15 am »

Last time I had a choppy game like that, I ended up using Reveal to see what was causing it. It turned out that there were holes under the volcano and magma was dropping down trying to fill them. Perhaps there is a fluid issue on your map too, if you don't have a volcano then chack around the magma sea.
Good idea, though I'd previously revealed this map haxxily (nothing to report).  Didn't set off hell before you ask ;)

It seems better now, but I did nothing I can think of to help.  Infact, I did worse -- raised the pop cap, gained 20 dwarves, opened my main gates and designated a shitload of dumping so every dwarf is pathing everywhere.  Yet it's slightly smoother.  huh.