Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: killing off cats  (Read 1790 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: killing off cats
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 07:57:08 am »

I have yet to kill a cat for a catsplosion. I always nip the problem in the bud early, make a cage first off from my carpenter's workshop, and cage all kittens as soon as the game alerts me to them.

Speaking of which, any way to edit the raws so that cat birth = pause game?
I wish I had done this sooner. Because only one can be used at a time, to cage one animal at a time, the rate of kittens being born now requires four cages built. After I get the max population, then I'll look at revoking the grandfather clause on the current pets, but I'm a bit concerned about the hot-tempered soldiers who are cat lovers.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:53 am »

I have yet to kill a cat for a catsplosion. I always nip the problem in the bud early, make a cage first off from my carpenter's workshop, and cage all kittens as soon as the game alerts me to them.

Speaking of which, any way to edit the raws so that cat birth = pause game?
I wish I had done this sooner. Because only one can be used at a time, to cage one animal at a time, the rate of kittens being born now requires four cages built. After I get the max population, then I'll look at revoking the grandfather clause on the current pets, but I'm a bit concerned about the hot-tempered soldiers who are cat lovers.
In 31.16 and earlier, you can put multiple creatures in a single cage.
I don't remember how I did it, but I made it so that the only female cat in the fortress was the one i had brought with me (like, birthed cats/cats brought by migrants were male).
~80 male cats. ~70 caged cats.
Cage is in the magma sea somewhere.
most are caged.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 08:17:46 am »

You can create animal pits -- channel a pit (doesn't have to be large, even 1x1 is fine).  Designate with 'i' the hole + the floor next to it as a 'p'it.  Press 'P' and select the animal(s) you wish to enpitten.  In the pit itself, make sure there's no way out (bridge wall/locked door/pet-free door/no ramps up) or they'll just wander out.  Do what you want down there... drowning pit, atom smashing bridge, whatever.

Three awesome reasons to use a pit:
  • You can select multiple things to be empittened and free dwarves will all go at it at once, instead of caging them one at a time
  • Perfect for freeing up animals/goblins/etc from your cage traps, no need to build cages/guess which ones aren't empty/link to levers/etc
  • Despite the creatures being uncaged while dwarves transport them, they can't attack

Note that this doesn't work for adopted pets.  And I wouldn't pit flying hostiles ;)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 08:31:30 am »

You ever consider caging then butchering any extraneous cats to start up a nice meat/leather/soap/prepared meals industry? Turn those furry freeloaders into profit!

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:41 am »

You can create animal pits -- channel a pit (doesn't have to be large, even 1x1 is fine).  Designate with 'i' the hole + the floor next to it as a 'p'it.  Press 'P' and select the animal(s) you wish to enpitten.  In the pit itself, make sure there's no way out (bridge wall/locked door/pet-free door/no ramps up) or they'll just wander out.  Do what you want down there... drowning pit, atom smashing bridge, whatever.

Three awesome reasons to use a pit:
  • You can select multiple things to be empittened and free dwarves will all go at it at once, instead of caging them one at a time
  • Perfect for freeing up animals/goblins/etc from your cage traps, no need to build cages/guess which ones aren't empty/link to levers/etc
  • Despite the creatures being uncaged while dwarves transport them, they can't attack

Note that this doesn't work for adopted pets.  And I wouldn't pit flying hostiles ;)

Any creature that is able to steal, will try to run, and attack the dwaves, be this a goblin thief or rhesus macaque as far as i know.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:22 am »

In 31.16 and earlier, you can put multiple creatures in a single cage.
As far as I've played, I've always been able to hold multiple creatures in cages. My point was that caging will occur one job at a time, done by one dwarf, to catch and haul one animal. If you've got a litter, average 2 cats, born every week, and that dwarf may not be done within the week, the only speedy way to get them before they adopt is to have many cages ready and many dwarves snatching them up.

After they're off the caged, you can consolidate them all into one much more easily.

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:41 am »

You ever consider caging then butchering any extraneous cats to start up a nice meat/leather/soap/prepared meals industry? Turn those furry freeloaders into profit!
even the kittens are cunning, on the way to the butchers they adopt someone.
Meaning to get to there nice soft meat, i have to first cut though a dwarf.dy
Dwarf: "Your taking my precious new kitten? Over my dead body!"
Me: "I'll see what can be arranged, but it may take a while"
*Organises menacing spike danger room*

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 10:07:19 am »

I'll have to kill off some cats soon, there is a fair amount of them now. Will try the ways in this thread.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 [2]