Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wolves can open unlocked hatches.  (Read 514 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wolves can open unlocked hatches.
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:10 am »

I built a tiny tunnel under my compound wall to give my woodcutters a shortcut outside without them having to walk through my elaborate entrance.  The idea is that with hatches+ramp, it would be completely safe if the inside hatch was forbidden before it could be taken by potential invaders.  There's a guardpuppy outside to watch for said invaders.  But I just noticed a pack of wolves casually stroll by my puppy, open the hatch on the outside, go underneath my wall, and open the second hatch from below, and pop out within my fortress.  Now, the hatches were unlocked, but I figured wolves wouldn't be able to open the hatch.  Maybe that's naive of me, considering that all pets can do it, but because wolves aren't part of your fortress so somehow i thought they wouldn't be able to get in regardless.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: wolves can open unlocked hatches.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:20:10 am »

Make the hatches or doors non pet passable. Otherwise animals will open them.

Not that wolves are too dangerous, but this is useful when surrounded by polar bears and the like

Not useful at all when confronted with yetis, who are building destroyers.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.