Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good news, everyone!  (Read 875 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good news, everyone!
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:23:16 am »

I've invented a device that everyone needs to implement!

I got bored with one of my current fortresses. I've seen people talk about how they put people in their danger rooms to kill them (migrants/elves) or level them. Since my industries were working fine, I figured I'd mess with the migrants. I made a danger room between the entrance and the main fort (I had my depot there, but deconstructed it and built it deeper). This forced anyone who was entering my fortress to pass through my danger room. I had double doors on both sides, and once the migrants filtered in, I locked the doors. A few got stuck outside, so they'd have to learn to wait their turn.

I locked them in for a few days and out of the original dozen or so migrants I locked into the room, I had a survivor. I couldn't believe it. A migrant didn't throw himself upon my spear traps. Being a sick person (most of you know where I'm coming from), I began piling all my non-military, non-legendary dwarves into this danger room, now dubbed "The Darwinator". And awaaaaaay they went! Most of my dwarves did, in fact, die, but the ones that came out were better. Changed. I mean, they've seen stuff, man. Surprisingly, there hasn't been a tantrum spiral. You'd think a mother of three would bitch and moan after seeing her husband and children impaled. But she was ecstatic when she was allowed to hunt elephants again.

I've also decided to keep the depot inside the fortress during spring. For obvious reasons.

Here's a quick breakdown from my perspective:

PROS:
Gets rid of any population issue
Removes useless dwarves
Trains the ones that deserve to live
Allows the creation of a master race
Because f- the elves

CONS:
DWARF FORTRESS

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good news, everyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:55 am »

They probably gained the "Doesn't care about anything anymore" attribute.  Which is good, especially if every dwarf in your fortress has that attribute.

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:35 am »

If you're going to go down this road, it seems to me that the obvious next step would be to turn your entire fortress into a danger room. Dining room: repeating spikes. Hallways: repeating spikes. Bedrooms: repeating spikes. Repeating spike lever: surrounded by repeating spikes. Your fortress will, in fact, menace with spikes of wood.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:26:12 am »

Building onto that, use a repeater.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:39 am »

And flood it. They need to learn to swim.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:56:12 am »

Flood it with 2 levels of water and make a repeater, then link all spear traps to it. Your dwarves will train fighting skills + swimming permanently. Their stats will skyrocked and in the end you'll have a race of superdwarves that would make all crazy dictators in history jealous.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.