Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly dust jumping  (Read 983 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Deadly dust jumping
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:14 pm »

There's something weird going on with the latest two FBs I met that had deadly dust.
The first was extremely deadly, not because of the syndrome itself (though it was indeed deadly over time), but because its dust literally launched its victims in the air, causing them to meet again with the ground in rather violent fashions. Said beast being a winged scarab, it didn't suffer any ill-effect.
The second one I'm having right now, however, being an eyeless lizard with mandibles but no wings, very clearly managed to launch itself in the air (as well as one victim whose skull caved in on his brain) and injure itself. Twice. I sincerely hope it won't kill itself before a soldier lays their armored hands on it.
I got a very clear idea of how I can weaponize this shit. Must find a way to catch these monsters alive.

(Optional questions: is it normal for a .18 fort? Met any interesting creature like that? Pretty sure that never happened 2 versions ago...)

EDIT: one single arrow in the throat ended its suffering after the 4th jump. Good job, soldier!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:12:24 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly dust jumping
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:42 pm »

According to the wiki, you're looking at the two most Fun kinds of breath-based attacks(exlcuding fire- and dragonbreath, of course), that being TRAILING_DUST_FLOW, the first one which is blowing dwarves away, and UNDIRECTED_DUST, the second one which blows the user(and everything else) away.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:05:27 pm »

Yeah, that's normal, since the dust attack has the same mechanics as cavein dust. It was happening as early as 31.1.

According to the wiki, you're looking at the two most Fun kinds of breath-based attacks(exlcuding fire- and dragonbreath, of course), that being TRAILING_DUST_FLOW, the first one which is blowing dwarves away, and UNDIRECTED_DUST, the second one which blows the user(and everything else) away.

Trailing dust flows blow the user away too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

Funny, must be pure randomness that made it so I'm only getting such beasts now. Note to self: check the wiki much more often.
Say, could I possibly weaponize this without risking a FB rocket-jumping itself away or committing suicide? For the time being, all my ideas either involve the risk of a high fall for the creature, or a low ceiling, which would remove half the Fun® of the project.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »

Get it into a room with a fortification that can be closed with a raising bridge. Don't make the room higher than 1 z-level. If someone walks past the fortification lower the bridge and it should blow it's dust through the fortification. Granted you'll get deadly fb dust on everything that's hit and people cleaning up might get contaminated and die, so you should probably combine this with a water cleanup mechanism.
I had a dust breathing beast which would blow dust further than 10 tiles in every direction. The dust also instantly froze everyone who got hit. The soldiers didn't even get one hit in :/

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 05:36:48 pm »

Mhhh... yeah, I'll see what can be done with raising bridges. I tend to forget how useful these things are. Must try and fit that kind of room in my next fort, it's gonna be difficult in the current one.