Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves are really, really annoying.  (Read 1006 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves are really, really annoying.
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:53 am »

So I'm trying to play nice with the elves. I carefully went through the list of stuff I was willing to trade, carefully selecting only metal items, until I had enough stuff to buy their whole caravan out.

I tell him I want to trade, and the elf gets huffy, says something stupid about once a living thing. WTH? I reckon it's cause I tried to trade goods which I'd gotten from humies or dorves which were made of metal but decorated with some plant stuff.

So, of course, I hit the S button and told 'em they had their chance and now they can jog on home completely empty-handed. That seems fair to me; you come to trade, I try to trade in good faith, you get huffy and throw a conniption fit because somebody I don't even know put some wood on his piccolo or whatever. I take everything, keep all of my stuff, and you go home poor!

(Razzen frazzen, so going to bloody change the elf's civ to not hate wood products when/if I regen.)

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't get all haughtier-than-thou about it! If they'd just say "these objects are unacceptable but we'll take these," it'd be one thing! But they throw a tantrum and shout "No, there's WOOD on that, I'm going home!"

Well, fine. Take your stuff and - oh wait, no. Just go home. Don't take your stuff, I'll be keeping it, kthxbai! :)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Re: Elves are really, really annoying.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:47:59 am »

You left out the "drop the elves down a really, really deep pit" step.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:11:42 am »

And the "pull the lever" step.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:59 am »

The only thing elves will ALWAYS accept is bolts. At considerable velocity.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:35:08 am »

I've found they don't mind stone spikes emerging from under their feet.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:56:24 am »

Just Take their Crap and Throw the Caravan into a Pit , Elves Always Bring Useless stuff , and whine way too much if even ONE SMALL BIT of wood is on something you are trading to them

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:07:55 am »

I usually lock the room and let them tear each other apart
then I fill it with magma because I didn't need whatever they were selling anyway
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:30:06 am »

I usually lock the room and let them tear each other apart
then I fill it with magma because I didn't need whatever they were selling anyway
Even GDSs and bears?!  :'( Ya heartless bastard.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:43:54 am »

Slight threadjack here.

I had an idea for my next fort (or possibly the current one if it can be done without screwing up).  Each caravan comes in a predictable order during the year: Elves in Spring, Humans in Summer and Dwarves in Autumn.  My idea was to have 3 trade depots built, with access controlled by bridges so that when closed, they were accessible only from within the fort.  Then I'd have some dwarven machinery controlling the bridges so that a single lever pull would toggle the open path between the three depots.  Has anyone tried this and are there fun-ruining problems (eg. is only one depot ever used and if it's closed off, the traders go away?  is there no way to toggle three bridges ABC so that only one is ever open?)

Of course, the fort access to the Elven Depot might be.. unfinished. Or possibly accidentally intersecting with the magma defence systems.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »

Slight threadjack here.

I had an idea for my next fort (or possibly the current one if it can be done without screwing up).  Each caravan comes in a predictable order during the year: Elves in Spring, Humans in Summer and Dwarves in Autumn.  My idea was to have 3 trade depots built, with access controlled by bridges so that when closed, they were accessible only from within the fort.  Then I'd have some dwarven machinery controlling the bridges so that a single lever pull would toggle the open path between the three depots.  Has anyone tried this and are there fun-ruining problems (eg. is only one depot ever used and if it's closed off, the traders go away?  is there no way to toggle three bridges ABC so that only one is ever open?)

Of course, the fort access to the Elven Depot might be.. unfinished. Or possibly accidentally intersecting with the magma defence systems.
YES!
I want someone to do that, then, MAKE A WHOLE THREAD ABOUT THAT!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »

Are you trying to get the berserking traders to fight each other?  It is possible to do it that way you described; if the merchants cannot path to the first depot, they will go to the second.  It may also help to actually forbid the depot itself.  I have seen this in my own forts where I have two depots; one is a drowning trap/isolation cell and the other is the fair trading room.  Given the choice, I have observed, they prefer to go to the death trap.  I assume this means they path to the closest available depot from their entrance to the map.  So, yes, what you suggest is (in theory) possible.  One snag, however, is that if the unit is on the map for too long without being able to path anywhere, it just disappears.  I don't know how long this takes (could be months or it could be years), so if you want to experiment, go ahead, but this is all I know about the subject.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum