Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about appointed baron  (Read 655 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about appointed baron
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:58:13 am »

I recently got the chance to appoint my baron and I chose my current mayor/leader/broker/manager/broker as I specifically picked him to lead my glorious civilization. Oh he's also a legendary mechanic. Anyways it didn't occur to me at the time but will he become useless now or will he still continue to perform his same old duties or be useless?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about appointed baron
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:54 am »

I'm pretty sure you can force nobles to do work through the use of Dwarf Therapist.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

Well I can still appoint labors to him but I haven't been able to determine if he actually does any work (I'm in class right now and this happened late last night.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:40 am »

As far as I can tell, appointed barons still perform all labors as normal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:36:53 am »

I'm pretty sure you can force nobles to do work through the use of Dwarf Therapist.

Wait. Does this mean that you can't assign labors to your baron in-game?

It never even occurred to me that they weren't intended to do work in this version. I just thought "well, the mandates are annoying, but at least they do stuff now".

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

my mechanic->baron no longer does any mechanics after promotion, but his job screen is accessible, so technically I can enable/disable any job for him. I haven't tried what he can do, but he does his management duties without any delay or hesitation.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:03:10 pm »

The baron/ess is a funny duck.  He/she will do assigned labors "sometimes".  I've noticed that anything involving building construction they tend to ignore, but they will happily haul and craft goods to their heart's content.  Your mechanic baron should still be willing to construct mechanisms at any serviceable Mechanic's Workshop, but will outright refuse to build any levers or traps.
Sanity is for the weak.