Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about Lords  (Read 721 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about Lords
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:03:20 am »

I have recently gotten 5 soldiers up to "Lord" ranking (11+ on their preferred weapon) I was wondering, now that they are professional soldiers, can I keep them on duty all the time, and not have to worry about the "Been depressed about long duty lately" message?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Lords
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:13:01 am »

the long duty thing is only affected by their personality, as far as I can tell. Try to pick dwarves with high senses of duty and respect for tradition for the military.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:25:59 am »

That's not always the best indicator. Some of them fit in with a few early troubles, with or without that, and some eventually throw a deadly tantrum. It's not easy to tell who's going to be a bad match for the military, but reaching Lord ranking is a pretty good indicator that they're a thorough soldier.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:30:24 am »

I keep all of my soldiers on permanent training regiments. They never get a break. I've never had one go on a tantrum in a healthy fortress. I wouldn't worry about soldiers being unhappy due to being on duty for so long.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:42 am »

Most of them have valuable civilian skills, so I cycle them out of training at least 1 month out of 4, some get 3 months on, 3 months off. But the less valuable ones (and yeah, I'm looking at you, bitchy fisherdwarf) might ought to stay active military. Will that prevent any tantrum?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:08:56 pm »

I rarely see tantrums from peasants on constant training provided you patch their hapiness somewhere else.

The couple i have seen can be attributed to 1)lack of indiv. room, 2) squadmates dying beside them 3) long duty

In this situation they sometimes throw a hissy fit, my peasants who survive such massacres but have their own rooms dont tantrum even though both carry the death/long duty thoughts.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:18:18 pm »

just give them a large barracks, engraved and full of racks and beds
they may be a little unhappy for a while, but they will get over it
I very seldom get unhappy dwarves and I conscript for life
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »

All my combat soldiers have private quarters, fine or better, next to legendary d-facs staffed with master to legendary chefs. They have very little to complain about, which is why it pisses me off to get a problem case like this. They're rare, but I've got two atm who may go either way, suck it up and adapt, or nut up and get court-martialed.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »

I just keep all of my soldier on duty, because when I take them off, they get another bad though from being relieved from duty, along with staying active for too long.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »

The best indication you need to remove a dwarf from the military is the flashing red arrow.  I only notice a few dwarves who get close to reaching tantrum with full time military.  Watch for the enraged about long patrol, this is a massive happiness loss and is hard to counter.

Increase the value of all major areas to the fortress, eg: dining hall, bed rooms, hallways, barracks, entrance/s.  Build high quality weapon traps and statues in hallways just for happiness.  Add high quality hatch covers to stairs.  Mist generators if applicable (just pumped water 75z's for mist and wells). Train a legendary cook.  Pay attention to personal likes and try to match them to the troubled troops.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."