Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Neverending Siege  (Read 614 times)

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Neverending Siege
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:50:30 pm »

Well, I have been playing this fortress for 4 years (in game) and have naturally pushed back multiple sieges. Now another siege came recently, goblins again, big woop, this shouldn't be that hard. First squad (axemen) approaches my traps, they all die, second squad (bowmen) approach my traps,  they all get caged with a few killed, all going good, third squad approaches (trolls), they are caged and killed. Now there is one more squad still coming, still plenty of traps haven't had to use my final line of defense, the Aquarium as I call it.

Well, now this squad came around 4 tiles towards my fortress and stopped, no movement for almost a season now. They just wander a tile or two back and forth sometimes. So I decide to start building the magnificent shower head attachment onto my Aquarium. Simple enough walls and floor coming out the side of my reservoir. Finished building that open the hatch at the end and start pumping water onto the goblins, they start getting pushed back by the torrential rains! Two get pushed off a nearby cliff. The other 4 charge at the fortress! FINALLY! I Shut the Shower Head off and wait for the goblins to get inside the trap field.

When they get into the trap area I decide to shut the doors and drown the sorry bastards. I open the reservoir and water pours onto them they're dead. Yay! OR? Crap. Just my luck. I forgot about my fortifications... Water pours into my fortress and the dwarfs cant get to the lever to shut the reservoir and my fortress is flooded... Workshop level is shortly filled with 7/7 water and several dwarfs were washed down into it and killed.

Time for me to start cleaning, lost 20 dwarves roughly this shouldn't be to hard to fix...

^.^

P.S. sorry for the super long post :D

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Neverending Siege
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »

Hear that?
Hear the sounds of a score of dwarves pounding on the floor below you, drowning in their own mistake?
Hear the gurgle and crackle of barrels of goblin blood, spilled over the halls?
Hear the snap and clash of metal on metal as the traps slice enemies into pieces and the army sits without anything to do?
that's the sound of dwarf fortress.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum