Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact weapons vs higher tier weapons  (Read 539 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact weapons vs higher tier weapons
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »

I have a brass mace artifact weapon, and a silver mace of high quality. Which would do more damage so I can decide which to give to my Mace Lord?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact weapons vs higher tier weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:29:27 pm »

I would say the one that is heavier.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

They are the exact same weight.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »

Then I would say the artifact is better.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:15 pm »

There's 3 concerns here:

First, since it's a mace (blunt weapon), the material's weight determines how much damage it will deal on a hit. Now, silver is heavier than brass by about 1/4, thus on a hit it will deal slightly more damage. However, all indications are that the difference is quite slight, so we need to look at the other issues.

Second, quality. It looks like item quality on blunt weapons does nothing beyond affecting accuracy (since they have no edge anyway). An artifact weapon multiplies the user's skill by 3, then adds 5, which naturally affects their accuracy. Your "high quality" weapon, I'm guessing is Exceptional (which multiplies by 1.8 then adds 4) or Masterwork (x2+5). So, the artifact is significantly better, except that there's one more thing we need to look at.

That last thing is the intended wielder's skill. Most skills' effectiveness stops improving after level 20, and your Mace Lord has at least 11 skill with maces. I'm uncertain as to whether weapon skills are among the skills that continue to have an effect after 20, though I'd guess that they probably do, but there comes a point where you're hitting 100% of the time anyway so the improved accuracy doesn't actually matter. With an Exceptional weapon, a Great-skill Mace Lord will have an effective skill of ~22, so if the effectiveness of skill is capped at 20, that's as good as any weapon.

To answer your question directly, I'd say that the silver mace is probably very slightly better unless you're going up against very, very big things (which are harder to get a solid blow on).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:43:07 pm »

Thanks for the detailed description and layout, Necro! I read every word!

:D