Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start a (goblin) civil war  (Read 1185 times)

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to start a (goblin) civil war
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:22 am »

Ok I put up a bug on the tracker, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3685, where I noticed goblin ambush squads arriving at my fortress would immediately kill each other at the edge of the map.

Going through Legend mode showed that a goblin faction, The Clean Malice, which is a group from the goblin civ The Dread of Trails, somehow became an enemy of its parent civ. The attacking goblin squads contained goblins (and humans) belonging to the Clean Malice, and non-Malice goblins were killing them. Essentially, loyalty cascade but this time on the goblin side.

Digging deeper into legends, this is how I think I managed to produce this situation:

1. Mod your game so DEFAULT_CIV for goblins is CITY instead of dark fortresses, so goblins spawn with human-like towns.
2. Find a goblin civ and a town/hamlet founded by a subgroup of that civ. Ideally this town would be close to potential embark sites for your future fortresses, and invaders would be coming from this town.
3. Create an adventurer from a civ at war with the goblins, and have him get some reputation (enough to be able to hire four or five companions).
4. Go to the goblin town you picked with your adventurer (make sure you have free slots for hiring more companions) and attempt to get a random goblin to Join your group. This should be possible if your adventurer has not killed any goblins yet (and is unknown to the goblin civ).
5. Watch as all the other goblins pummel the hapless gobby you hired. Watch them kill each other afterward for murdering the goblin.
6. ? ? ?
7. Profit! *

*"Profit" in this case means goblin mayhem, and a relatively safe environment for fortresses in the area, as goblin ambushes will reveal themselves as soon as they enter the map, and goblin sieges will soon devolve into vicious free-for-alls.

It should be possible to produce similar human or elven loyalty cascades if you can spawn adventurers from civs at war with them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a (goblin) civil war
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:50:53 am »

Hmm, funny to say but I have done a similar tactice with several other RPG and/or RTS, wonder why I never tried for DF. Cool idea! Why do we need to mod them to build towns though? Couldn't we have them build forts and get somebody from the fort?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:56 am »

Why do we need to mod them to build towns though? Couldn't we have them build forts and get somebody from the fort?

I believe its because goblin towers don't appear on the map in adventure mode if you don't mod them to use CITY. Apparently the sprawl code isn't in for dark towers, elven trees and dwarf fortresses.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:58:01 am »

And caves.
くコ:彡

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:01:24 am »

I believe its because goblin towers don't appear on the map in adventure mode if you don't mod them to use CITY. Apparently the sprawl code isn't in for dark towers, elven trees and dwarf fortresses.

ALL OF MY RAGE!!!! *Sigh* Ah well, one thing at a time. The all mighty toady builds our realms one step at a time.