Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27653 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »

Well this is interesting.

Had a glassmaker go beserk and die because I couldn't fulfill his Strange Mood. He came back as a violent ghost and started beating on dorfs. Looking at the ghost, it says he is the creator of adol Orrun, (male sign). Presumably, this is the artifact he failed to create in life. GHOST ARTIFACTS!
Mention it on mantis, it sounds like a bug. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »

So I was thinking, if a ghost can organize parties and have pets, that must mean the game still treats them as a living creature to seem degree. Perhaps this includes a variety of other social interactions, including the ability for a ghostly dwarf to become mayor?
... a ghost town should have a ghost mayor.... as having a mayor is a property of a town....
but I'd rather not have a ghost as mayor in a live town. It would make meetings with liasons etc impossible and might even duplicate the gamebreaking behaviour of the killed expeditionleader; as a ghost-mayor does no work yet occupies the noble-slot. 

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »

Well this is interesting.

Had a glassmaker go beserk and die because I couldn't fulfill his Strange Mood. He came back as a violent ghost and started beating on dorfs. Looking at the ghost, it says he is the creator of adol Orrun, (male sign). Presumably, this is the artifact he failed to create in life. GHOST ARTIFACTS!

Now to give my dwarves a full suit of ghost adamantine artifacts.

What do you mean it does not work that way?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2010, 03:04:05 pm »

Well, we already knew artifact names were determined before they were successfully created (See: Possessed Dwarves)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »

With all this about ghosts being considered normal citizens, would that mean your fortress won't crumble to its end if all your citizens became ghosts?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2010, 12:34:38 am »

As the ghosts begin to fill my fortress, I also noticed that they would periodically disappear off of my units list. Finding them via the relationships screen would show that they were somewhere in the unmined rock, and a few times their position must have been in Hell itself.

I also noticed my FPS get laggy. No, not laggy- choppy. Varying between 40-90 choppy. Laying ghosts to rest seems to have restored my FPS. Anybody else get this?

And yeah, yeah, heading to Mantis.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »

and a few times their position must have been in Hell itself.
awesome
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »

This should make colonizing hell a bit easier....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2010, 06:27:07 am »

Ghosts may be out scaring the underground natives, causing the lag?

Ghost pathing may be a source of the lag, though it seems they can path through multiple layers of solid rock.....or they are teleporting all over the map. 
Looking for a viable spot to reappear could take a bit of processing if ALL floor tiles (seen and hidden) on a site are viable.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2010, 04:27:23 pm »

Apparently ghosts don't show up as deceased in the justice thing.
Is it possible that they could be put into cages or chained up this way?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]