Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Effects of Playing Dwarf Fortress  (Read 821 times)

Iburnaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Effects of Playing Dwarf Fortress
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »

I've noticed that playing Dwarf Fortress has effected my general way of thinking about things in a rather !!fun!! way. And not at all involving as much magma as one thinks. I've begun to think of burial as a waste of good crafting materials and when ever I walk into a large stone building I immediately wonder why every inch isn't carved with the history of the people around. I see a horse and immediately think of killing off all the male foals but the most fit simply because I only need one male for all the females.  I find my room to be very nice because the walls are smoothed, I have a table and a throne, a cabinet and a coffer and even a statue. I feel like a noble!

How has dwarf fortress effected your outlook on things?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Effects of Playing Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »

Whenever I come across stupidity in human bureaucrasy (be it weird rules or stupid employees), I just think of how much stupider dwarves are and how much more frustrating programming (and debugging) is.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »

Whenever I come across stupidity in human bureaucrasy (be it weird rules or stupid employees), I just think of how much stupider dwarves are and how much more frustrating programming (and debugging) is.

Ah, if you could only get to the RAWs.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:10 pm »

I realized today that DF is not that far from the truth. A Connecticut man broke into someone's house, punched the owner and then died in the bathroom.  SEE!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:45 pm »

I realized today that DF is not that far from the truth. A Connecticut man broke into someone's house, punched the owner and then died in the bathroom.  SEE!!!

Sounds like a typical dwarven Saturday.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:00:51 am »

I've actually been thinking about how you could live underground.

But then I read World War Z (particularly the part about North Korea) and I decided against it.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:21:03 am »

1) Dwarfs get things done, DAMMIT!
2) The hardest part of programming, in a business enviorment, is defining what people want of you, and trying to figure out how they structured there business. From there you build a class diagram and a use case, and the 'programming' part is nothing. Even easyer is the scripting. Implmentation can be a bitch, but only when you need to teach somebody something. In short, progrmming is hard because people too dumb to know what they want.