Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Processor for DF?  (Read 1538 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: Processor for DF?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:17 pm »

I don't see how memory could possibly be more important than CPU, considering almost all lag stems from calculating paths.

which is done by the cpu.. not ram..

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 02:56:13 pm »

8gigs DDR3 (not sure what speed, It's at home) Bluefeild 3.56 GHz i7 processor (6-core full multithread support so 12 threads) and it lags at 20 fps after 100 dwarves and lots of mining.

I'm not sure what is out there for new processors, but something that runs faster than 4 gigahertz a core would be a plus...

Edit: I'm going to research processor speeds, will only be a few minutes...

Edit2: It doesn't exist, nothing can run dwarf fortress..... Sorry for the spoiler....

Edit3: closest thing is the http://www.frys.com/product/6183659?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
         and it isn't much better than my current processor as far as DF goes......
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:05:39 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 03:12:19 pm »

It's known that DF doesn't support multicores. So what we need to find out is what is the most powerful single core (or single core inside a multicore rig) that can be bought.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 03:14:45 pm »

the bottleneck in DF is memorybandwith in the CPU. So how fast the computer can move the data to the cores. I would say get a X58 motherboard with some triplechannel high clocked memory. the most I7-9 serie CPU's have a turbo mode that overclock the cpu to 3.5Ghz+ so that should be sufficient.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 03:24:28 pm »

My i7 is still not good enough... the fps death is still there, there are no single cores out that outmatch the multicores in raw clockspeed.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »

I have a hand-crank egg-mixer strapped to a gerbil in a treadmill, and I get 10 scrambled eggs/minute. I'm thinking about upgrading to a two-gerbil treadmill for the extra torque.

You ought to upgrade to a chinchilla rig... with even a single tread model, you'll get five times the performance of a two-gerbil machine, and you can run multiple mixers by replacing it the treadmill with a newer model with an extra PTO shaft.

Of course if you're really interested in performance, you could try switching to a Habitrail setup. Very aesthetic, slick case for the whole unit but most mixers aren't compatable and you'll have to get a new one, most likely.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 01:56:24 am »

ram would only help loading larger embarks/worlds

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 02:52:11 am »

I don't see how memory could possibly be more important than CPU, considering almost all lag stems from calculating paths.

which is done by the cpu.. not ram..
But what could it mean, holmes?!
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Pages: 1 [2]