Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the heck are "Unknown" tiles?  (Read 642 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What the heck are "Unknown" tiles?
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »

okay, so to explain what happened, I was in a very fast hurry to get a farm going. I floored over a murky pool to protect my workers while they were turning the soil around it into a space suitable for farming. Then they channeled out the tiles around the floor, so as to destroy the wall tiles of the murky pool. Once the pool proved insufficient to muddy all the spaces in my designated farm, I put a support tile under the hanging ceiling, removed its' connection to the ground level, as I was preparing to flood the farm from the brook; I had everything going at once.

I collapsed the hanging ceiling to get it out of the way the quickest, and now I have a bunch of black "Unknown" tiles in the middle of my farming area, directly where I was going to have my above-ground crops farm.

What the bloody heck am I supposed to do now? Does anyone know how to get rid of "unknown," to figure out what's there? I can't designate it for mining, and despite Dwarves running around it they're not revealing it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck are "Unknown" tiles?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »

I saw something simmilar in .16 after I built a pillar over a frozen pond. When it thawed, it remained erect at first, but after saving and reloading, it collapsed, leaving an "unknown tile" at the bottom of the pond. I tried dumping a goblin into it to see what happened (I was expecting some kind of crash), but nothing did. The goblin simply stayed there as if it was just a hole in the ground.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck are "Unknown" tiles?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm still using .16. The frustrating thing is that the damn place seems to be "there", it took water and discharged it. I just don't get it.