Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warehouse/Depot  (Read 978 times)

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warehouse/Depot
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »

So one of the new buildings I want to build for my expanded fortress is a warehouse/depot.

It's really two buildings in one... the depot/offices on one side, and the warehouse on the other.  The warehouse will be multiple floors, each floor holding a specific stockpile, much like a department store setup (*ding!* third floor! Bags and loincloths!)...  Each stockpile will be 11x11, which should be large enough I think.

The first floor will hold the finished goods for trading.  Second floor will be armor, clothes, and weapons.  Third floor will be furniture.

I'm not certain what else I might want in the warehouse.  Wood is being housed nearer to the workshops, as is gems (unless I want the gem shops on the fourth floor, which is a possibility).  Blocks and bars likewise will be going closer to where they will be useful.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warehouse/Depot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:27:51 pm »

Ding floor 11 !!Socks!!
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »

sounds like a interesting build 8)
but you may want to move the Furniture stockpile to the first or second floor, since it seems to be the most used (though that depends on your fortress)
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »

My personal opinion: it's more practical to keep  workshops next to trade depots, as both of those come with a quantum stockpile by default, whereas if you use a produced goods stockpile you'll have to keep a a skyscraper just to keep your mugs and/or the stuff you trade for yet dont necessarily have an immediate use for
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

My personal opinion: it's more practical to keep  workshops next to trade depots, as both of those come with a quantum stockpile by default, whereas if you use a produced goods stockpile you'll have to keep a a skyscraper just to keep your mugs and/or the stuff you trade for yet dont necessarily have an immediate use for

I'm at the point where trading does me no good, really.  I'm mainly trading to get rid of all my goblin-acquired clothing/armor/weapons.  I'm no longer producing any trade goods, and I'm not sure I really will for quite a while.  this might change once Toady releases the new caravan stuff, but for now I don't really have trade items piling up.  When I trade, I just go to "all" and find anything within 100 tiles that I want to get rid of.

What I'm really going for is a nice warehouse area for my stuff, and the trade depot will be a part of it.  Right now I just have stockpiles all over the place willy nilly.

Furniture on the first floor sounds like a better idea, actually.  I might split the furniture up amongst multiple floors, depending... mechanisms on one floor, doors on one floor, tables/chairs, stuff like that.  Groupings that would go together.  After all, I can always add more floors.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

Hehe....i just got a vision of a huge thirty Z-level tower stretching into the sky, with small dwarven elevators going up and down the outside  ::)

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:22:54 pm »

For decoration/realism: Ramps from the various parts of the warehouse all leading down to the depot, allowing dwarves to effortlessly slide their heavy loads down from the higher floors.

Sadly, items do not slide down ramps in the game, so if you want practicality, you'll have to replace the ramps with a single shaft above the depot, and just have the dwarves dump everything straight down onto the trader's heads when it comes time to trade.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »

Trader 1: so wheres the goods?

Dorf 1: they will be here in o' second

Dorf 2: LOOK OUT!!!

Trader 1: what do you mea-*THUMP*

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:48 am »

Man I love these forums.  LOL

Actually, it probably will end up being a tower.  I'm going to have a 100-level apartment building with 20 rooms per level for housing, and that's just for the civilians.  Not sure what I'm doing for the nobles yet.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:03:07 am »

• Don't pre-plan what will be on each floor.
  • Start with one floor for all surplus junk.
  • Modify burrows and labors to create a large dedicated workforce with no other jobs than hauling things from floor to floor in the warehouse, ideally with a funny custom job title. Possibly also permit them to add floors.
  • When any floor fills up, build a new floor and divert the biggest part of the full floor's inventory to it. So the second floor might be a furniture stockpile, and you'd turn off furniture on the bottom catch-all stockpile. Then later the furniture floor might be broken out into mechanisms, tables, chairs, etc.
I might try this.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »

• Don't pre-plan what will be on each floor.
  • Start with one floor for all surplus junk.
  • Modify burrows and labors to create a large dedicated workforce with no other jobs than hauling things from floor to floor in the warehouse, ideally with a funny custom job title. Possibly also permit them to add floors.
  • When any floor fills up, build a new floor and divert the biggest part of the full floor's inventory to it. So the second floor might be a furniture stockpile, and you'd turn off furniture on the bottom catch-all stockpile. Then later the furniture floor might be broken out into mechanisms, tables, chairs, etc.
I might try this.

You know.... I really like that idea.  I'll save the dedicated Warehouse Monkeys for later in the fortress's life, but doing a dynamically expanding warehouse is a very good idea.