Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trivial wound ends a mighty Dwarf (and other things).  (Read 3035 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial wound ends a mighty Dwarf (and other things).
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 03:46:21 am »

Well, this is unrelated but, have you ever broken a bone by someone hitting you before? It sure damn hurts. But then again, the dwarfs meant to be a demigod.  :D

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 06:22:04 am »

My RL experience:
I had couple of sparring fights in which i got some really ugly bruisess (mostly from lowkicks on outer site of my left thigh), the kind, which gets purple-blue-swollen over night. The adrenaline does a good job of reducing the pain significantely for the rest of the round (1-2 minutes but i think that in life-death situation the effect would be even more dramatic), but it can't suppress the pain of another incoming attacks, its like paralysing lightning bolt runs throug your body every time you get hit in the same spot.
Never had anything broken in training, but i had a complicated wrist fracture by accident. ...the pain was unbearable, i can't imagine any level of adrenaline to suppress that.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 07:41:00 am »

Well, it's not like having an appendage ripped off should hurt less than breaking a bone.
Or should it?

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:41 am »

Well, this is unrelated but, have you ever broken a bone by someone hitting you before? It sure damn hurts. But then again, the dwarfs meant to be a demigod.  :D

Yeah. Here's a thought experiment:  The OP comes to my house and puts his or her hand on my desk, and I take a hammer and smash his or her thumb as hard as I can. Then, we duel with baseball bats. I think the OP would be significantly hampered by this injury.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:27:03 am »

The problem isn't that a trivial injury killed him, it's that much more severe wounds don't do the same.

Also, the idea of lightly bruising the heart or lungs = instadeath seems stupid to me.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 10:37:00 am »

The problem isn't that a trivial injury killed him, it's that much more severe wounds don't do the same.

Also, the idea of lightly bruising the heart or lungs = instadeath seems stupid to me.
So... Can i come over and hit you on the chest until your heart bruises, since you naturally wont die? :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2115

bug entry

Anyways some people say "Oh if you broke a bone it would hurt and you would be in agony"

I know that.

But at SUPERHUMAN Toughness and Willpower (both stats affect pain) You can lose TWO limbs and not even get the yellow pain indicator. So basicly missing limbs tickle him.

Yet a broken TOE causes EXTREME PAIN and makes you pass out, by the time you wake up your still in EXTREME PAIN even if thats your only injury, you will pass out about  4 times.

Why should a busted toe cause extreme pain if you can shrug off missing limbs?
IRL I THINK having both arms ripped off would hurt MORE then a broken rib or toe.
Anyways yeah, the pain from a broken bone is just unrealistic at this point, it also makes most blunt weapons OP as once you break a bone they pass out and you can just keep smashing them into dust.

How does this make any sense!?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:47:55 pm by Toybasher »

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 12:59:03 pm »

Im not  disagreeing with you, but in which direction you want to go? Make it more resistant to those fractures or less resistant to those ripped off limbs? ...or somewhere in between?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »

Im not  disagreeing with you, but in which direction you want to go? Make it more resistant to those fractures or less resistant to those ripped off limbs? ...or somewhere in between?

More resistant to fractures,

Athough pain from regular wounds should be upped a bit too
Pages: 1 [2]