Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows 7 or windows XP on new laptop?  (Read 2288 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 or windows XP on new laptop?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:52:39 am »

Bah. REAL men stick with punch-card based systems.

You are all sissies!
Fixed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »

Vista < XP < 7 in my opinion.

Is this what you mean?
Fixed that for you.

I suppose the strikethrough wasn't enough to make it clear

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

Bah. REAL hire warehouses full of people to do the math for them

You are all sissies!
Fixed.
Fixed again. (After all, That's what punch card machines replaced.)
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »

Bah. REAL hire warehouses full of people to do the math for them

You are all sissies!
Fixed.
Just think of what computers would be like if a Union stepped in on that one...  No!  You cannot fire all these people!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »

Suppose it depends on the math you were doing really. I'm sure the guys who worked at aerospace firms just went on to program the computers that would replace them.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 04:00:00 am »

Bah. REAL people hire a room full of underpaid foreigners to remember a lot of 1s and 0s

You are all sissies!
Fixed.
Just think of what computers would be like if a Union stepped in on that one...  No!  You cannot fire all these people!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »

Get Windows 7 Professional. It has the capability to perfectly reproduce windows XP down to the last file.

Know that Windows 7 is really just an expensive fix for Vista. Don't get vista. It sucks.

It also depends on what you do. If you play old games all the time, get XP, because it is probably more compatable. Some newer games won't even work with XP, so for the best of both worlds, go with my first statement.
Meowth! That's right!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 08:16:52 pm »

So you guys are recommending i hire warehouses of mathematicians instead of windows 7?
Ehhh, but then i have to buy windows 7 professional, and i don't think that it's worth it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »

If you play old games all the time, get XP
As much as I dislike Win7 (not a fan of the interface, moved items, lack of customization, and constant state of piratical blame)... that's probably a bad reason to pick XP.  You can always virtualize to get older games working.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 08:22:05 pm »

So you guys are recommending i hire warehouses of mathematicians instead of windows 7?
Ehhh, but then i have to buy windows 7 professional, and i don't think that it's worth it.
Then don't buy it if you don't think it's worth it.  The only reason I bought it was to properly support my 6GB of RAM, CoreI7, and SSD.  I fully expect developers to support DX9 for the long term, and even then... I haven't seen a game in years that was worth an OS update.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »

windows xp mode for 7 Professional is not very good for compatibility so if you truly want your fix try running it vmware (thats how xp mode is microsoft style though).

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 02:51:36 am »

You want the newer, shinier operating system.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 05:37:43 am »

windows xp mode for 7 Professional is not very good for compatibility so if you truly want your fix try running it vmware (thats how xp mode is microsoft style though).

Nah, it uses Windows Virtual PC. Why would it use VMware?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 09:43:10 am »

Nah, it uses Windows Virtual PC. Why would it use VMware?
He never said it uses VMWare... He said VMWare is like Microsoft's XP Mode.  It's worded a bit funny, and I had to read it a few times myself.
Pages: 1 [2]