Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoilers. (Obviously, there will be spoilers in here.)  (Read 1901 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spoilers. (Obviously, there will be spoilers in here.)
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:43:05 am »

I've been reading the forums for a long while, and I've begun wondering exactly what is considered a spoiler at this point. I understand that hell, adamantine, and all of that are spoilers, but are ghosts? I've seen the "party" euphemism a few times, but I don't really think they need to be hidden behind that.

On that note, what do we call them? Not just the ghosts, but all of this spoilerific material.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers. (Obviously, there will be spoilers in here.)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:21:03 am »

Ghosts in particular were just a spoiler right after release. In particular Toady didn't declare them in the devlog so we all took that to mean they were FUN we shouldn't deprive others of. From here on out I wouldn't say it's too big of a deal to not mention ghosts in thread titles and that- anybody new won't really equate ghosts being very different from things like zombies.

As for hell, you've got to have a lot of things going right in a fort to really reach that so it's really out of the newbie reach and as such we sort of try not to tell people about it prematurely. Anything else that takes the same sort of effort to get at should probably not be brought up too casually.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:02:31 am »

The euphemisms are also a lot of !!fun!! to say.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:01:17 am »

Thank you Shoku for that very sensible and lucid contribution. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:09:42 pm »

If I didn't assume my threads died so easily, I wouldn't have made the mistake I did earlier today. Thanks for the explanation, Shoku. No sarcasm, being sincere.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »

Well said, Shoku. I am tempted to copy and paste that into every single thread this comes up, like some kind of loser superhero.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:25 am »

I think the whole "party" euphemism arose because the ghosts actually DO throw parties.

As an addendum, I agree that there's no sense in spoilering ghosts, given how quickly dwarfs under the control of a new player tend to die off. Even if you started out not knowing, it's only going to take one fort or so before you find out!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:06:14 am »

The problem with trying to spoiler ghosts is that dwarfs die. You literally can start a fort then do nothing and you can get ghosts. Hell and such are a spoiler because they requires an effort to get. Plus in the end spoilers do not stop people from learning about it and in fact just puts a big sign saying "Do Not Read" which is paramount to have a big red button which says "Do Not Press" that destroys your evil lair.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:50 am »

Wait, there are ghosts?!

I heard Snape killed Dumbledore, guys.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:34:58 am »

I've heard people say that we shouldn't bother treating hell and demons as spoilers, mainly because anyone who goes on the forums can figure out what they are. While that may be true, I think it's important to remember that knowing there are demons in the deep doesn't teach you how they work or what they will do. So hell is still relatively unspoiled.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »

On that note, what do we call them? Not just the ghosts, but all of this spoilerific material.
What should we call the things which should be spoilered?
HFS
Call it HFS if you must metion it at all, or use the spoiler tags. Memetic euphemisms are pointless. Hidden Fun Stuff is what Toady has called it all along, and works just fine if you aren't being specific about what kind of HFS, and if you are, it should all be in a spoiler tag.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).