Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about weapons  (Read 1014 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about weapons
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »

I'm new to adventure mode, so excuse me if this is something obvious

I was under the impression that certain weapons are two handed, like for example halberds, but my human adventurer appears to be holding his halberd with one hand. Is there something I'm not getting here?

Also I'm having a problem with carrying stuff since he needs to be holding or wearing whatever he has I can't find any backpacks and he can't wear bags which would mean needing to leave a hand free to carry the bag

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:55:36 pm »

I think there are ongoing issues with the distinction between one- and two-handed weapons.  In previous updates, having an empty hand would cause you to switch to multigrasp with some weapons, but I never really understood how it worked.

Your bag issue is odd.  You didn't start with a backpack?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:44 pm »

I was a little confused too, started as a human peasant and I started with a spear and a dagger, naked!

theotherhiveking

• Bay Watcher
  • The ceiling... it beckons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:06:34 pm »

He is likely starting as a outsider, they only start with weapons, no clothes or backpacks.

Multigrasp is relative to size, weapons have a minimal user size, and a higher one to check if it has to be multigrasped, so for example you may need 30000dorfvolumes to wield the weapon, and 60000dorfvolumes to do so with only one hand without penalties.

So if your adventurer is under 60000, freeing one hand will result in multigrasping and if he is above 60000 he will keep wielding the weapon one-handed.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:08:23 pm by theotherhiveking »
So i'm chasing this wounded cheetah right? I go near this dried out pond AND SUDDENLY 21 FUCKING ELANDS COME OUT OF NOWHERE TO SHATTER MY BONES WITH THEIR THUNDEROUS HOOVES OF RAMPAGING MIGHT
Your eyes must be broken. You have gone blind most likely, but the paralysing is confusing.. Could you poast a screenshot?

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »

Yeah, I started as an outsider ^^;