Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DwarfStocks - Stockpile utility (WIP)  (Read 825 times)

eue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DwarfStocks - Stockpile utility (WIP)
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »

Currently, custom stockpiles are a mess to manage. If you want a pile of limestone blocks, you need to enable only "Stone" under "Blocks" and under "Blocks: Metal" (why metal?) enable only "limestone". You can only have one set of custom stockpile configurations. Sand stockpiles are awkward to set. Lots of things could do with better categorization. Ideally Toady would fix these, but until then, we have to play along with it.

So, I'm planning the creation of an utility to manage stockpiles. I intend to clear up the issues on categories and most importantly, have the ability to save stockpile configurations, a lot like DT lets you save custom professions. The way I see it working is by making use of the custom stockpile settings you can have in DF. Those settings get saved along, but you only get one set of them. So, this utility would basically replace those settings with previously saved settings.

I am currently working on the parts that don't interact with DF, because I'm having trouble finding the stockpile offsets. Searching for dwarf offsets is easier because you can search for their nicknames, and the rest of the data should be somewhere around. But the stockpiles settings are a bummer, because there's no known text or well-known numbers to search for in stockpile settings. Any tips to make finding them easier (I mean, without lots of guesswork and brute force involved)?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:09:17 pm by eue »

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfStocks - Stockpile utility
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »

Seeing a thread title like that and then finding "So, I'm planning"

Made me really sad.

eue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfStocks - Stockpile utility
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:07:22 pm »

Seeing a thread title like that and then finding "So, I'm planning"

Made me really sad.
Everything has to start somewhere :) But maybe I should edit the title to avoid more disappointment.

If/when I get around the tricky part of finding the offsets, it shouldn't take long to get this out.

ZaZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfStocks - Stockpile utility (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:01 am »

Would be cool to actually see whats in those stockpiles at a glance as well as your overall stockpile levels allows you to easily figure out say for example how many steel bars you have and if you can outfit your new squad already or if you need to make new bars first without having to go through 2-3 menus and scroll down 50 times.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:28 am »

I'm not sure what you are using to search for offsets. Try this: search for unknown pointer, then designate new stockpile, search for changed pointers, delete stockpile or add new one search again. In the end you should run down to: 129FBA0 (this is zero based offset for SDL 31.17) a vector offset. Good luck.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:13:15 am »

Poke around the DFHack source code.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:20:28 am »

Or you could poke around dfusion scripts.E.g. i used this to find that offset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)