Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too Deep  (Read 1308 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too Deep
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

Even though I've been playing this game for about a year now, I've never actually beaten it.  Bordom, too many dwarves lagging my system, or minor bugs kept me from finishing the game.

Today I finally "beat" the game.  I'm not sure how the ending was kept secret from me for so long, but I'm kind of glad I didn't know what the ending really was.

Is there any way to avoid this ending, other than the obvious of never mining any adamantine?  What's the point of mining and starting the long process of making adamantine items if the game will end at any moment?  

And toady, how DARE you sugest there's any force in the universe that could destroy my fortress due to digging too deep.  Lost contact?  More like the most powerful force in the universe was awoken and was proptly crushed by a draw bridge!

I say bring him on, my drawbridges are ready and I have a cadre of legendary switch-pullers ready to defend my 21 dwarf commune.

It's cute the game actually has an ending, but I never even got to play with nobles this game!  is there any way to mod-out the ending or make it far less likely?

[ April 06, 2007: Message edited by: Baro ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Too Deep
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

You haven't won yet.  You should go clear that place out with an adventurer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

Draw-bridge death-machines seem like one of those "minor bugs" to me for right now. When enemies learn to recognize and try to avoid\destroy them it'll be fair game.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

I've never been able to find my old forts in adventure mode.  I never know what country to start in or where to look.  I finally figured out the shift-Q menu, but all I get his a HUGE list of nonsense names that don't really mean anything to me.  Iv'e got sooo many abandoned forts it would take for ever to find that exact one.  I didn't think to write down its name.

Is there any way to look up the last fort name?

It would also be cool if we could 'print' a map of the world that at least had region names on it so we can navigate.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »

Go to the Legends section, look in sites for the blue sites, and find the most recent one.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

So I made a legendary wrester who was also an expert hammerdwarf and armour user and accomplished shield user.

After my long training I went to find my old fort.  Finally i actually found it by asking around in various town.

Upon entering, every few steps I was told a troll "burned up in the heat" and began to get a little worried.  I assumed maybe my old lava-system was out of control.  This fortress had killed the demons and dug too deep.  

The moment I open the front door I'm attacked by a giant cave spider AND a spirit of fire.  Spirit of Fire?!  I killed that guy!  Crushed him dead and then poured lava down his pit for good measure.  Well, I didn't want to get burnt up, so I charged the bastard knocking him over.  I knocked over a spirit of fire!

I should have let everyone finish their fighting in my grand hall...

the giant cave spider that was fighting the spirit of fire turned on me too.  I got stuck in a web, the spider knocked me out, and the spirit of fire broke a few bones.  I managed to mangle its arm and break free from the web, but the moment I got a few squares away and through the door the spirit of fire burnt me and the cave spider up.  

The end  :(

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

quote:
You haven't won yet. You should go clear that place out with an adventurer.

I created an adventurer, went to my old fort, killed everything in sight, but there was no big demon for me to kill  :(

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

All I've ever found in my old forts are gremlins, iron men, and elephants.

Yes, elephants in my fortress.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

the big demon would only be there if you go to an abandoned fort that has been lost due to dug to deep. meaning you got the message that says lost contact.
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

The deep demons seem to have a bad habit of falling into the chasm when you're not around to see, if you're watching your message stack.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

Are the too-deep demons different from the pit demons?  It looks like a single spirit of fire or what ever, isn't that simply one of the pit "defenders" that comes out after you find their 'stange glowing pit" ?

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

I'm sure others have done it, but I'm so very proud to have "beaten" the game.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 06:21:00 am »

If you defeat the demon with an adventurer, can you then reclaim the fortress without having to worry about another too-deep compulsory-ending?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

Nope. Once the fort is too deeped, you can never reclaim it again. Regardless if the demon is alive or not.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

quote:
the big demon would only be there if you go to an abandoned fort that has been lost due to dug to deep. meaning you got the message that says lost contact.

I had done this, but he was not there....

..on the other hand i did pick up a shiny set of full adamantine armour and 2 masterwork adamantine shortswords...

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...