Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecraft Update Bitchout / DDOS Attack  (Read 1383 times)

Minecraft Update Bitchout / DDOS Attack
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:17:15 pm »

Source Blogspot
Source: Kotaku

TL;DR: A bunch of Minecraft players bitch out because the game isn't getting enough updates and then try to DDOS the servers.

The thing about this is, for me, that I don't disagree with them as much as many other people seem to.

They've paid for Minecraft and (I assume) that paying for it means that, roughly, they should receive updates on a fairly regular time frame. If they don't get the updates in the sort of time frame they'd expect, then they have every right to complain. I'm not certain I agree with the DDOS attack, but it certainly gets the point across in a way that bitching on the forums wouldn't.

I see lots of people suggesting that he shouldn't be expected to update regularly due to him being a single Indie developer, but he is charging money for the game he's created and that results in customers expecting to have some sort of support for the product. It makes no difference if he's a single Indie developer or a big budget developer, he should offer updates for the product he's made.

I'm fairly certain this is the reason Toady doesn't offer for purchases (of any sort) for DF, but instead accepts donations. Then it's not a problem if he doesn't update as much due to the fact he doesn't have customers, merely people interested in seeing DF go further along.

What does everyone else think?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Update Bitchout / DDOS Attack
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:19:42 pm »

This happened almost a month ago. Not to be a buzzkill, but pretty sure it was discussed at length then.
Re: Minecraft Update Bitchout / DDOS Attack
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »

slowpoke.png
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs