Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I had a home delivery of Bronze..  (Read 726 times)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I had a home delivery of Bronze..
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:16 am »

I had my first ever visit from a Bronze Collossus today and as I do not use cage traps I had to fight it the good old fashioned way. :)

My 5 squads of 3 (axe,sword, spear, mace and Hammer squads) were novice to mediocre in skills due to natural training (no danger rooms) so I wasn't certain what the outcome would be.

After a very long fight and lots of toes, fingers etc. flying off it finally succumbed to the onslaught, leaving a debris field of body parts and a statue. I lost one Maceman and another was badly wounded but didnt bother with hospital after finding out it was flooded thanks to the colossus destroying the floodgate leading to the well in the hospital (oops). It was just a small pond that I emptied into a cistern and closed off hoping it would refill with rain because it was the only water on the map, but I didn't expect or plan for something like that. lol

Anyway, is there any use for all these body parts or do I just dump them into my trash compactor (dump square under a bridge)?

My bonecrafter doesn't want to know and there is no option to melt them unfortunately which is a shame as there is several tones of Bronze lying around right now. It's funny to see the Dwarves trying to carry the pieces about though, even a toe seems to weigh more than an elephant.  :o

Now I want my clothier to make a T shirt that says "I fought a Bronze Colossus and all I got was this lousy statue".  ;)

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: So I had a home delivery of Bronze..
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:01:27 am »

melt the parts with magma. Don't let it sit too long though, because it could melt away(evaporate?).

But anyway, I've seen things become molten metal in magma, but I dunno what happens when you drain the magma away.

worth a shot.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:53:12 am »

Unfortunately, molten metals just become solidified unusable lumps of their material after they cool, sometimes laced with something else.  You're no better off with chunks of Bronze Colossus all over the place than you are with melted blobs of bronze all over the place.
Sanity is for the weak.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:05:02 am »

That's a pity.

Cheers guys. :)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:31 am »

I had a try. Bronze and copper items turn into "molten copper" and "molten bronze", and then if you remove magma, just into "copper" and "bronze". Now it's time to quickly remove cleaning job from all your dorfs - or they'll con to "clean" and turn these pieces into nothing. But if you designate them for smelting, you get bars again!

I guess there is an exploit if you melt stack of arrows or bolts. Each of it turned into single glob, and I'm not sure it stores quantity value during meltdown.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.