Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it no longer possible to pull yourself out of the water?  (Read 1504 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it no longer possible to pull yourself out of the water?
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:13 am »

My adventurer has fallen in murky water and can't get up.  He has swimming skills, but is still drowning.  Alt + direction keys wont let me out.

Any other options?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Is it no longer possible to pull yourself out of the water?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:56:44 am »

If it still follows what it has in past games, then any character that is "drowning" regardless of their ability to swim, can only exit water from ramps.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:58:51 am »

Hmmm...
How do I stop the drowning tag them?  He has the required swimming levels (At least as of the old versions) +2 added.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:02:08 am »

No way that I know of. If anybody else has got an idea they are free to share it, but I know that I have had to give up an adventurer or two that could swim yet was knocked into the water only to drown.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:05:02 am »

Ah bugger...

Alright, thanks for the help.  According to the wiki, you have to give then +3 to prevent this from happening now.  It also seems to hint that they might randomly stop panicking and swim regularly if your lucky.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

Have you tried the "go up a level" command (shift + < ) I always use this to leave pools...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:13:33 am »

I wasn't able to pull myself out of a murky pool while not drowning, I had to use travel to get out.  Appears to also be a bug...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:43 am »

Haven't tried murky pools, but the ALT+arrow menu still works for me in 7 deep river water.
The things that sometimes trip me up are: not 7 deep water. lying down. An injury to my leg.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:56:59 pm »

I fell into a 7/7 murky pool while dodging.  Since I was in battle and only had +2 stats added and not +3, I panicked and started drowning.  Since I was still in a battle I couldn't [T]ravel.  If you are drowning then the alt commands and > or <  don't work.  And you die.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

Sounds weird. Were you drowsy at all? I know the tired tad affected the ability to swim, and I'm sure they added it to drowsy. Perhaps stunned as well. Maybe your arms are broken or missing? It'd be bloody hard to pull yourself out of anything if that were the case.