Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death from old age is in...  (Read 704 times)

Sophist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death from old age is in...
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »

So, apparently people have on occasion wondered whether it was possible for a dwarf to die of old age. I can't answer that question. However, it appears humans can:

Context: I was sleeping outside after the bug with shopkeepers labelling you a thief after you've legitimately bought something had made me distinctly unwelcome across a large area. I get jumped:
"You will remember the Tattooed Spirits when we are finished with you!"
And one of them promptly and memorably dies of old age. I picture the Tattooed Spirits as a band of roving evil geriatrics, risking heart failure every time they enact one of their diabolical schemes. Certainly, they've made my game more colourful...

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death from old age is in...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »

Yeah, it's been in for a while. Before .17 I had actually stumbled into a human town, and everyone was dying of old age pretty much simultaneously, it was weird.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:19:12 pm »

I love death by old age. In .16, I fast traveled into a human town and I hadn't taken a single step when the warlord died of old age. So much for getting a quest out of the geezer.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:09:59 am »

I'm fairy certain that death by old age has been in since the very first version. I know for sure that a certain long-run 2D fort had a dwarf or two die from old age.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.