Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Antimatter atoms trapped for the first time. HURRR  (Read 3032 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Antimatter atoms trapped for the first time. HURRR
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 04:54:48 am »

Its called a particle trap and antimatter is currently the most expensive material in the entire world. It is literally cheaper to build a B-2 bomber and gold plate it and then bomb the planet until it glows purple than build antimatter weapons to do the same thing. Expect no antimatter weapons until we have a far more efficient way to make it.

You probably could stud the Golden B-2 Bomber in diamonds too AND give each person working on this project their own Gold plated B-2 Bomber for cheaper.

...now I want a gold-plated B-2 Bomber
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 05:15:58 am »

plated in antigold?
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 05:17:02 am »

plated in antigold?

Wouldn't the whole B-2 Bomber have to also be made out of anti-matter so it doesn't explode in that case?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 05:36:22 am »

You'd also have to turn the air around it into a vacuum.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 05:47:11 am »

Theoretical question:  Would it be possible to communicate with an antimatter civilization any way other than visually?

Sound is right out due to incompatible air.  Any form of radiation that doesn't involve an actual particle is probably fine.  Electronically is out for several reasons.

Also, how can we tell whether or not something in space is made out of antimatter?  If it is as similar to normal matter as believed, it would probably react to light in the same way.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 06:02:31 am »

Shoot bullets at them. If its an explosion, its made of matter, if its a BIG explosion, its antimatter?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:31 am »

Can you actually put a price on an object that exists for a tenth of a second?  I mean, it's not "priceless" like love or some shit because it is actually a thing, but it doesn't stay around long.
Quote from: Financial News Today
Panic at the NYSE today when the price of Antimatter dropped sharply today as investors realized nobody would be stupid enough to buy something that decays faster than it takes to advertise it and that there's no technologically practical way to even use it. Several of those who bought stock in Antimatter committed suicide, one of whom by exposing a sample of Antimatter to matter, and being killed in the resulting explosion.

But there is positive news, Love increased +5 points and is at its highes point since the '90s.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 10:56:01 am »

This might sound counterintuitive, but there really isn't a whole lot of difference between "a tenth of a second" and "indefinitely" when dealing with particles smaller than a molecule.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:01:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 2 [3]