Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunter won't hunt  (Read 719 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Hunter won't hunt
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »

I have started my new (soon to be) tower fort. When I was building a early defense I built a bower and craftshop for bows and arrows for my hunters. Now I have a hunter that has a crossbow, ammo, and the hunting skills enabled... but he won't do anything.

He just sits there while wasting out food supplies. How the hell do I get this guy to hunt?!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter won't hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:13 pm »

Are there wild animal currently on the unit screen (dumb i know but always the first question)? Does he have a quiver equipped and the bolts (check with (v) -> (i) enter on quiver) inside it. Dwarfs often refuse to take bolts from stockpiles make sure you leave them in the workshop (remove designation for ammo stockpile). Check the (f) ammo designation on the (m) military screen, maybe some militia squad has claimed the bolts. Also since you wrote bow and arrow, dwarves can't use these only crossbows and bolts.
Oh yeah try disabling his hunting labor and turning it back on first sometimes they just bug out.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:17:24 pm »

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »

Yeah. Also, I think my grammar is back now.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LOSING IS FUN!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:37 pm »

Yeah, without something to hold them in dwarves can get pretty clumsy trying to juggle 25 bolts and a crossbow, especially while loading it. Throw in a shield and he'll probably just end up with one in his foot.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."