Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surface Lava?  (Read 966 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surface Lava?
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:57:02 pm »

Is there anything I can do short of editing the whole world with df hack that will allow me to create lava rivers on the surface?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Surface Lava?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

volcanos and lava pipes still exist, i think

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »

You can't make lava rivers without using some kind of tile editor to change a bunch of tiles to magma.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »

add a new stone type that uses a material with a set temperature that is very high. I don't know if this will work, but I'm trying it now.

edit- no, that doesn't work... it just sits there, not melting. If you're dwarves touch it, they explode in fiery painful death, but other than that...

edit edit- no, they don't explode, the piece just boils away without harming them. perhaps if i set the temperature lower?

edit edit edit- no, that changes nothing. hmmm...

also, how do I delete my post? I don't see any buttons...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:21:19 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »

whoops double post.

delete please.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:14:51 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:00 pm »

No deleting posts in this forum, not even if you tick of an admin -the worst punishment I've seen is locked.

And if you want surface magma, go into the worldgen options and set volcanism to max.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »

No deleting posts in this forum, not even if you tick of an admin -the worst punishment I've seen is locked.

And if you want surface magma, go into the worldgen options and set volcanism to max.

What does volcanism even do? I haven't really noticed any changes by making the minimum high

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:39:22 pm »

Really? I'm pretty sure I've seen bot and troll posts removed. There was one (bot) in the fanart thread, as I recall.

On topic, I'm pretty sure setting volcanism to max will not give rivers of magma, but will in fact just produce lots of volcanos and magma pipes. I don't believe there is any way to produce rivers of magma without severe memory modification. Even melted rocks don't become a flow of magma, merely super-hot liquid objects.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

Pretty much, embark near a magma pipe or volcano and make your own.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 12:25:22 am »

What does volcanism even do? I haven't really noticed any changes by making the minimum high

It affects the rock layers you get. Areas with low volcanism have sedimentary rock, areas with high volcanism have igneous rock. In 40d it also affected magma pipe occurrence, probably affects volcanos in the current version.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:19:24 pm »

Use this like this to get more volcanos with non-igneous rock layers than you can handle.