Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants not leaving  (Read 5731 times)

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants not leaving
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:09:28 am »

Merchants are chilling in the Trade Depot, while they should have left some time ago. I even got the message that they have embarked on their journey, even though they did not. Every gate is open but they're just standing there. I can't figure out what is their problem, anybody have an idea how to solve this?

luciensanchez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants not leaving
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:51 am »

They take quite a while to pack up their goods, and it can be frustrating especially if you're waiting for them to leave to get a baron appointed.  For some reason, once you get the 'embarked on the journey' announcement, if you open up the designations menu, 'd', and hold down the mouse button, they'll pack up their goods quickly without game time passing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »

That is a really great trick, thanks!

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:05:08 pm »

Another possibility, if it's a dwarf caravan, is that the delegate hasn't been able to have his meeting with the mayor. One of my militia dwarves got appointed mayor and when the next caravan arrived the delegate chased him all round the fortress but, because he was training, never got any beard time until I put him back into civvies. The merchants seemed to hang around as well as a consequence.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »

Another possibility, if it's a dwarf caravan, is that the delegate hasn't been able to have his meeting with the mayor. One of my militia dwarves got appointed mayor and when the next caravan arrived the delegate chased him all round the fortress but, because he was training, never got any beard time until I put him back into civvies. The merchants seemed to hang around as well as a consequence.

When the mayor is kept busy , the merchants should be able to leave before the outpost liaison starts talking. Otherwise it would be impossible to get promoted to barony.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »

As far as I know they are not packing up their goods, they are just standing there. The outpost liaison has already left. If they go insane and I have to salughter them, will I be at war withy my parent civ?
EDIT: Thank Armok they're leaving, I have no idea why it took them this much time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:37:10 pm by Nas92 »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

The trick with holding down mouse while paused actually worked perfectly for me, I have had that situation of merchants taking ages to pack their shit and go for quite some time now.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »

The trick with holding down mouse while paused actually worked perfectly for me, I have had that situation of merchants taking ages to pack their shit and go for quite some time now.

I get that, too. I attribute it to the merchants having a TON of stuff to pack, since my latest fort's pretty young, so I gave them lots of cheap crafts and didn't buy a lot of their stuff.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

As far as I know they are not packing up their goods, they are just standing there. The outpost liaison has already left. If they go insane and I have to salughter them, will I be at war withy my parent civ?
EDIT: Thank Armok they're leaving, I have no idea why it took them this much time.

The way to know if they are packing up their goods is to look at the items inside the trade depot (with "t"), just as you do with other buildings.  You would see the list of items shrink over time.

It probably took them a long time because of what you traded them.  Did you give them a thousand loose items that weren't in bins?  Or did you trade entire bins all at once?  Just like how bins make things easier on hauling jobs inside the fort, they make it easier on merchants, who always pick up "one item" at a time.

Merchants are chilling in the Trade Depot, while they should have left some time ago. I even got the message that they have embarked on their journey, even though they did not.

Quick note: have you watched much trading in general?  You get that message when they start to pack up, not when they finish.  They always hang around after that message for awhile.

For some reason, once you get the 'embarked on the journey' announcement, if you open up the designations menu, 'd', and hold down the mouse button, they'll pack up their goods quickly without game time passing.

I don't know the details, but this has to do with several things in the game advancing on mouse-click despite the pause.  They just break the laws of time.  Job changes based on military activation are one I often see, and I believe pet adoption is another.  In short: beware of abusing that until someone more experienced explains it better.

--Rexfelum

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »

I've been selling those merchants with bins so they gtfo quicker but this mouse holding trick is neat too. Now, if you excuse me, I need to shape my paperweight.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:13:46 pm »

When the mayor is kept busy , the merchants should be able to leave before the outpost liaison starts talking. Otherwise it would be impossible to get promoted to barony.

I can only report what happens, not what is supposed to happen. My fortress, according to the known criteria, should have had a baron many dwarf years ago but the delegate has never suggested it. There's a bug apparently, perhaps the overstaying merchants are another.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 06:17:48 pm »

I can only report what happens, not what is supposed to happen. My fortress, according to the known criteria, should have had a baron many dwarf years ago but the delegate has never suggested it. There's a bug apparently, perhaps the overstaying merchants are another.

This is referring to the peculiar workaround that lets you get a barony.  It depends on the caravan leaving before the liaison conversation begins.

Overstaying merchants, as discussed, may just be loading an excess of loose goods.  This is a known annoyance and needs to be considered before declaring there's a "bug."

--Rexfelum