Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf king of the elves, stories  (Read 3731 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf king of the elves, stories
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:12:13 am »

Elves still pose a small threat with their war tigers and elephants, not to mention their bows which occasionally get through adamantine armour.

If you read about the people who die to elves in legends, they were either eaten alive or had a oak arrow put through their head.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 09:45:16 am »

As Tholtig will attest, the elves have two great advantages.  They never age, and they breed like rabbits.  Hippies with wooden weapons become a legitimate threat when they outnumber you a thousand to one, and can simply murder your children and wait for you to die of old age.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »

An elf could become king of the dwarves because when dwarves conquer elves, the result is conquest; a new governor is installed, and the populace learns to live under dwarvern law.  All sentient creatures who live under dwarvern law are seen as equal by dwarvern law, be they dwarf, human, elf, or goblin.
A Dwarf cannot become king of the elves, because when elves conquer dwarves, IIRC, the result is genocide.
So the point is, they're Nazis and we're Communists.

I am the dwarf who arranges the traps
That will make all the elves keep away
The Druid is dead, and forests are Red!
Let us point catapults at the humans, eh?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »

Well yes, but only if you turn the economy off, and you should, broken system is broken.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 03:57:33 pm »

Well yes, but only if you turn the economy off, and you should, broken system is broken.
USSR had economy. Not market economy and free enterprise and stuff, but the system relied on material rewards to stimulate people and had a concept of private property(your socks are your socks and your bed is your bed, like that), which is the main two things implemented in current DF economy model. It didn't work the way it was supposed to work, but neither did dwarven economy.

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »

How are kings chosen?  I kind of thought of it as an awesomediningroomguyelfking situation in reverse, where it doesn't happen by one conquering the other, more some kind of weird natural choice.  I dont know.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »

As far as I know, the game builds a king from scratch for every civ at the start of worldgen and then there's some kind of succession law. A member of the king's family will become king when he dies, usually.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:10 pm »

As far as I know, the game builds a king from scratch for every civ at the start of worldgen and then there's some kind of succession law. A member of the king's family will become king when he dies, usually.

More complex systems can be implemented, now, though things don't get too crazy in vanilla. Goblins have a sort of Nietzchian "will to power" thing going on. Demons seem to (usually) trump all comers, there. Don't know about the humans.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »

WTF?!?  HOW DID THIS THREAD GO SO LONG WITHOUT MENTIONING CACAME?!?!? :o :'( ::)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:53 pm »

WTF?!?  HOW DID THIS THREAD GO SO LONG WITHOUT MENTIONING CACAME?!?!? :o :'( ::)

I did.  I said a dwarven version of cacame.
Pages: 1 [2]