Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Getting Started in Linux  (Read 3957 times)

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help Getting Started in Linux
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:11:12 am »

I have been trying to get DF to run in Ubuntu and keep getting " ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected " when i try to open it. Any ideas?

Also - It is probably worth noting that i am VERY new to linux (as in today), I just thought that DF was the right thing to get running first  :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:29:35 am by discuscardscorys »

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
Re: Help Getting Started in Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:33:19 am »

Well first... what distro?

second... did you download the right version?

third... what distro? :P
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:09 pm »

I have been trying to get DF to run in Ubuntu and keep getting " ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected " when i try to open it. Any ideas?

Also - It is probably worth noting that i am VERY new to linux (as in today), I just thought that DF was the right thing to get running first  :D

I have a few questions. For comparison, I'll list my answers, too:

From which URL did you download the version you're using?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_16_linux.tar.bz2

What did you click / type to extract / install that downloaded file?
Code: [Select]
tar xf df_31_16_linux.tar.bz2 ; mv df_linux df_31_16_linux (and edit init.txt to change print_mode to text)

What do you click / type to run Dwarf Fortress?
~/df/df_31_16_linux/df (Ok, that's a lie. I wrote a script that runs the most recent version after ensuring that LC_ALL is set to "en_GB.utf8".)

What's the output of
uname -a for you?
Linux roger 2.6.27.7-smp #2 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:32:43 CST 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz GenuineIntel Gnu/Linux Yeh, old. I've been meaning to upgrade to Slackware 13.1 for a while.)

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »

As far as the distro, I am running Lucid (which i think is what you mean, if not, then I apologize).
I downloaded from:  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_16_linux.tar.bz2
which I believe means that should be fine.

To extract it i typed (in terminal):
~tar xf /home/christopher/Downloads/df_31_16_linux.tar.bz2I was not aware that it was necessary to set print_mode to text, but after reading your post I did so without any improvement.

To run DF Im typed (again in terminal):
~df_linux/df
My output for
uname -ais
Linux Christophers-laptop 2.6.32-24-powerpc #43-Ubuntu Thu Sep 16 17:04:21 UTC 2010 ppc GNU/Linux
Thank you both for being willing to help me. I know I am not the most computer literate person and I greatly appreciate you putting up with my (hopefully temporary) lack of knowledge.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:38:43 pm »

Man, I don't know. I use linux and I couldn't tell you. One thing to try is to be in the directory of DF before running the binary, like so:

cd df_linux
./df

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:48 am »

I have already tried ./df without any luck, unfortunately.
Thanks for trying, though   :D

ZaZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:47:09 am »

First of all, are we even sure DF will run on powerpc?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:49 am »

I missed that in his post. No, I'm pretty sure it won't.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:43 am »

It definitely ran fine in OSX, if that makes any difference.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:47 am »

No, Dwarf Fortress won't run on PPC, whether on Linux or Mac.  It used to run on PPC Macs but a change of compiler means it no longer does.

discuscardscorys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:52:32 am »

I have run both 3.14 and 3.16 on my PPC without any problems at all using OS X. I am not sure which version of OS X, though I believe it was Tiger (10.4.11). The only noticeable difference between running DF on my iBook G4 and my girlfriend's MacBook was a significantly better frame rate on the MacBook. I know this should not have worked, but it did. Any ideas why? Or better yet, any ideas about how to get it to happen again?

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »

I have run both 3.14 and 3.16 on my PPC without any problems at all using OS X. I am not sure which version of OS X, though I believe it was Tiger (10.4.11). The only noticeable difference between running DF on my iBook G4 and my girlfriend's MacBook was a significantly better frame rate on the MacBook. I know this should not have worked, but it did. Any ideas why? Or better yet, any ideas about how to get it to happen again?

Since it's technically not possible, as far as Tarn is aware, no, I've no idea how that'd happen.