Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves dying of thirst  (Read 529 times)

TomlinAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves dying of thirst
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:49 am »

I can't seem to figure this one out.

I have tons of booze, flasks, all military are set to carry several drinks and I have a working well. (Q)uerying the well verifies that it is Active, and the well is easily pathable by all dwarves.

I'm getting spammed to death with "xxx cancels Give Water: No Water Source found." I don't have running rivers or pools of water. The only pool I've found in the caverns contains a flaming camel forgotten beast and a gelatinous poison cloud forgotten beast -- threats I'll eventually deal with, but am not currently prepared to handle.

My question: why won't my dwarves drink from the well, or fill buckets from the well for the dehydrated dwarves? Why are they keeling over of dehydration in my mess hall with giant booze stockpiles lying in front of them? Arnok, WHY???

Any tips appreciated.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves dying of thirst
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:27 am »

Sometimes military dwarves will claim food or drink, check by loo[k]ing, then [v]iewing them.
As for the well, maybe you have no free buckets?

TomlinAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:34 am »

Definitely have plenty of buckets. 15 or so for a fort of 64. My militia commander is dehydrated, but I don't actually have him on military duty.

I'm so confused. :(

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:03:13 am »

1. Check to make sure said buckets don't contain stagnant water. If they do you need to dump them.
2. Check to make sure the barrels, wood the barrels/buckets are made from are not forbidden.
3. Make sure the booze itself is not forbidden.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

TomlinAS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:21:49 am »

Appreciate the tips. Check, check, and check. Bugged maybe? Or is there an issue with supplying buckets from wells?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:07:14 am »

I am 99% sure that you accidentally cut down the stairs or the ramp leading to the well. Check them out.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »

Did you by chance set (i) zones for your civilians to hide in during a siege (or set up burrows) and forgot to release them (and failed to include the booze storerooms or a path to the storerooms in the zone/burrow)?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »

Make sure that zone-only drinking is not set, or if it is set, make a drinking zone at your well (I recommend leaving it off).  Found under (o)rders menu.