Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exiting  (Read 748 times)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exiting
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »

Alright this is going to sound really stupid lol, but I have been following along with the video and written tutorial and made it to chapter 5 or so. I have already learned a lot and so far am already addicted lol. But when I try to exit the game I only have one option when hitting esc, "Abandon Fortress." After selecting this I get:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do I exit without deleting my saved games so far lol? Those symbols make no sense, and I cant use like alt+arrow key or shift+arrow etc to highlight other options. I have been quitting by just ending the task in task manager, but surely there is a better way?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:35:40 pm by MaGicBush »

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiting
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »

There is.  Just before that, you should have 3 options: Continue, Exit (or something to that effect), Abandon.

In the fine tradition of rogue-likes, your choices are fixed in stone (so to speak),exiting is actually save and exit.  You don't get the option to just save.

So don't pick the option for 'continue' or 'abandon' and you'll be fine.  Just use the arrow keys to move around on that menu.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:52:12 pm »

Yea I feel retarded, just did a search and another person asked the same thing a month ago lol. Figured it out, my main thing though is every time I save it saves a new "file" so when I go back to load instead of 2 saves I then have 3 saves. And it's confusing on which one to pick since there is no date next to the saved-games(well in-game dates, but still in the same year and season atm with all 3). So I had accidentally chosen the wrong save point just now when I started the game back up so was wanting to exit without saving and reload the correct option. Don't know if that makes since, according to the other thread though the only way to exit without saving is to end task(Also note I have never played any rogue-like games, I just randomly stumbled upon this game this morning when browsing Minecraft forums and seeing a DF map maker lol then started looking into it).

So far shockingly I love it, when I first saw the ASCII I was thinking lmao no way. But then started reading the tutorials out of curiosity since this game seems so popular and had over 400 people logged in on the forums, and got hooked after realizing what the game was about and how detailed it really is.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:58:42 pm by MaGicBush »

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:27 am »

If you haven't gotten a tileset yet, get one.  Since graphics were my biggest barrier to entry, once I got a good tileset the game was 100X easier to play.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:50 pm »

Yea I actually started with the noob written tutorial at the top with the new graphics, have yet to really see the ASCII graphics lol(though I do remember them as a kid and don't care to venture back to that world lol).

Biggest gripe, and hopefully just missing something but how the heck do I tell what is my most recent save file? I tried going to windows explorer and checking the "modified date" for the latest, but the latest modified save is never the most recent I did?? So everyday I load up the game, I have to go through 3-5 saves to find the correct one ending task each time lol.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:40:22 pm by MaGicBush »

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:14:13 am »

Are you going into the saved game folders and looking at the latest modified files in each folder? The files are all generally lumped into one folder, and looking at the modified date of the FOLDER will not work, you have to go in and out of the folders. Sorting, or clicking on the bar that says "Date Modified" will let you see what file has been most recently modified.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

I spent three weeks away from the intenet and guide/tilesetless so i had no choice but to learn the hard way.... And now i can't even play with tilesets.. It f**ks up my playing because i learned with ACSII
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:11:03 pm »

I spent three weeks away from the intenet and guide/tilesetless so i had no choice but to learn the hard way.... And now i can't even play with tilesets.. It f**ks up my playing because i learned with ACSII
Ha, same here!
I cannot even look at some of them without thinking "Why doesn't this make sense? It's just different symbols! I should understand this!"

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

i always thought the ASCII looked better tbh. and it does make a lot more sense to me.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »

Biggest gripe, and hopefully just missing something but how the heck do I tell what is my most recent save file? I tried going to windows explorer and checking the "modified date" for the latest, but the latest modified save is never the most recent I did?? So everyday I load up the game, I have to go through 3-5 saves to find the correct one ending task each time lol.

I'm not sure what your settings are but normally when you save/exit df it will just overwrite the save folder. So if you started a save called region1 it will save to region1. if you got seasonal autosave turned on it will add -season-year to the save name. so region1 becomes region1-sum-1051 when you change to summer 1051, but if you do save/exit it will save to region1. if you quit and start the region1-sum-1051 save the next seasonal save will be region1-sum-1051-aut-1051.

if you are still having trouble finding your save, you could try going into the save folder and rename the save you want to use as mysave or something.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

Lazy Newb pack lets you set it to autosave every season... Its pointless and for save-scumming
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:01:06 pm »

From your description, you have autosave and autobackup enabled. Autobackup creates a backup savefile titled [regionname]-[date] at the changing of the seasons.

Recommend: Disable autobackup in the init files.

In any case, after you save-and-exit, you want to use the folder with just the [region]. If you have already abandoned, rename the latest autobackup to just the region (remove the date portion of the name) and continue from the renamed file.

If you continue from the default named autobackup, the names get really wonky, especially if you still have autobackup on. It's like having a history lesson encoded into the filename!
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.