Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Max vertical Z-levels in 31.xx?  (Read 464 times)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Max vertical Z-levels in 31.xx?
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:36:58 pm »

I remember there being a vertical max in 40d...does that also exist in 31.xx?  If so, what is it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Max vertical Z-levels in 31.xx?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:57:09 pm »

The default is 15 Z-levels above the highest ground level, the same as in 40d, but you can increase that as far as you want using a worldgen parameter.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »

I think the parameters are capped at 100.
At last, she is done.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:23 pm »

Assuming you mean the total on the map, not just the total above ground.

With maximum parameters, you can have 100 z-levels above the highest part of ground, plus another 100 between the ground and the first cavern, first and second caverns, second and third caverns, and third cavern and the magma sea. There's a couple other similar paramaters regarding the space around the magma sea and HFS, but I don't know whether the space you give is useful (100 stories of semimolten rock isn't that great aside from all the extra Hidden Fun Stone) so won't count them for now, so that's at least a minimum of 500 so far. Then there's the distance above ground between the lowest and highest surfaces, which in my experience is capped at 100 regardless of how good you are at making tall mountains with worldgen parameters unless you have a peak, in which case your mountain will be as tall as it damn well pleases.

That's a minimum of 600, not counting the caverns themselves, any extra space you get from a peak, and the magma sea on downward. I made a map like this for the purpose of building the tallest possible tower but I was all towered out from 40d so I decided to make a new map and build an ice castle instead on a more reasonably-sized map.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:52:22 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:09 pm »

not sure about cap but observed height go into 2k+. On a side note 31.xx 's feature density is very high you dont need much height to enjoy the game.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.