Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possessed Dwarf not getting materials  (Read 2304 times)

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possessed Dwarf not getting materials
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:14:17 am »

Hi, I'm relatively new, but I've dealt with plenty of moods before, so this one is confusing me. 

I had a dwarf become possessed and take over my magma forge, and then proceed to want metal bars (which I have plenty of), bones (also have from my hunting industry) and gems (check).  He hasn't gone to get any of these items since claiming the forge though and just sits there.  The forge is powered, there is 7/7 magma underneath.

I haven't assigned any burrows yet this game, so that can't be the problem, and I can't figure out why he won't go off and grab any of these items from the stockpiles.  Anyone encounter this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Possessed Dwarf not getting materials
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:20:47 am »

well, first I suggest to build a wall, and since it's a possession you won't lose potential legendary material.

with that aside  ;D ...

what kind of metal guy is he? how much stuff do you have (maybe only 2 gems that are being used for a task? the reason I'm asking is that my own bowyer was waiting for bones, and by suspending a bone bolt job he went on to make a friggin awesome crossbow... my fort is currently well-protected, yeah...)? also, (though you most likely already know this,) look for locked doors, magma floods, etc.

Sadly if everything is perfectly set you might want to wall him in (use a drawbridge for a side through and keep it open until he goes crazy) though an artifact weapon/armor piece wouldn't hurt...

Side note: would deconstructing the forge help? what's the material it's made out of? (thinks on how you could melt the forge...)

well, good luck
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:34 am »

Watch the messages the forge is showing, it may be that he wants more than one of a particular thing - hit 't' and move the cursor to the forge and you can see what he's already collected.  I don't know for sure if the order they're shown is all that trustworthy compared to what 'q' says he's asking for, but maybe you can pick out what he's stalled on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:57:04 am »

If he hasn't collected any metal bars, check his material preferences - it's very likely that he wants a specific metal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:21:50 am »

If he hasn't collected any metal bars, check his material preferences - it's very likely that he wants a specific metal.

You mean check his material preferences in his status description?  I'll look there, I thought they would just take what material was available of the proper type when they're in a mood though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:56 pm »

You mean check his material preferences in his status description?  I'll look there, I thought they would just take what material was available of the proper type when they're in a mood though.

Yes, in his Thoughts and Preferences page - a dwarf that "likes rose gold" may absolutely insist on making his artifact out of rose gold, refusing to use any other kind of metal (or, if you've got Adamantine, he might insist on using that).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:03:17 pm »

Yes, in his Thoughts and Preferences page - a dwarf that "likes rose gold" may absolutely insist on making his artifact out of rose gold, refusing to use any other kind of metal (or, if you've got Adamantine, he might insist on using that).

Thanks.  Apparently she just wanted copper.  Hadn't realized they were that picky with artifact creation.