Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving glitches?  (Read 577 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Engraving glitches?
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that as a fort progresses, engravers tend to engrave more and more "people" ?
Normally we  don't notice it since so many of us use MayDay variation where you don't See engraved pictures.  but going back to the ASCII version, I realized that about 90% of all my Dwarfs Engrave only pics of other Dwarfs.  there is virtually no random other things, trees, dragons, goblins, items, etc.  Its just all Dwarfs now.

anyone else notice this?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Engraving glitches?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:39 pm »

Edit d_init.txt and enable display of history in Dwarf mode engravings, and you'll see that they're probably engraving historical events that involved a dwarf.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »

As your engravers become more skilled, they are more likely to engrave images of important historical events and less likely to engrave random shapes or objects.  If you want a lot of low-skill engravings of squares and trees, disable engraving on any dwarf who starts to get skilled and only let unskilled dwarves engrave.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

Edit d_init.txt and enable display of history in Dwarf mode engravings, and you'll see that they're probably engraving historical events that involved taming giant eagles

Fixed.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.