Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Won't go up ramps  (Read 2821 times)

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
Dwarves Won't go up ramps
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »

I had my miners channelling down and they eventually they got to the 50th z level. I noticed they were thirsty but wouldn't go back up to get a drink. So i undesignated what they were doing and they just stood there. I designated some mining done back on the level of my fortress but they won't go do it. they can make a new ramp going up but won't go up it. They also won't go up stairs. These are legendary miners i don't want them to just keel over and die down there. Anybody have any idea what's going on?
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Won't go up ramps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:35:35 pm »

Are any burrows involved?  Are you certain you have both an up stair on the bottom and down stair above that join?  Are you sure the ramp leads to walkable tiles on both ends?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »

Are you sure the ramp leads to walkable tiles on both ends?
Actually, ramps need at least ONE adjasant tile to touch a wall (possibly some other unpassable tile will work too [citation needed]) in order to work.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »

How were you digging your channels? If you just did a little box of channel designations straight down, there's your problem. That's how people are typically told to easily dig their no-escape deep, deep death pits (sacrificing the miner when he's done).

So just designate up/down stairs all the way back up to your fort (you can't mess up up/down stairs). Don't try to fix it with ramps unless you're really sure you understand how they work.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:13 am »

Are you sure the ramp leads to walkable tiles on both ends?
Actually, ramps need at least ONE adjasant tile to touch a wall (possibly some other unpassable tile will work too [citation needed]) in order to work.

What I meant was, e.g. if you channel down 2 z-levels, then at the bottom you have ramps that look fine, but 1 up you have all walls, which can't be walked, so the ramps don't lead anywhere.  Although I'm pretty sure your point is correct too.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:37:26 am »

In order for a ramp to be usable, it must be braced against a wall, and that same wall must have a walkable floor directly above it (which is where the dwarf will end up after following the ramp). Any other configuration is invalid and cannot be followed in any direction (except, rather oddly, by caravan wagons).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.