Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are horses for? Dwarf Families? (Newb Questions)  (Read 1371 times)

logismo

• Bay Watcher
  • the answer to life the universe and everything
    • View Profile
What are horses for? Dwarf Families? (Newb Questions)
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »

I know I can butcher horses but other than that are they the same as cows? Can they pull anything around or be ridden on? Side note: Can they be milked and how do you milk things?

Two of my dwarves have become a couple and decided to share a room. Do I need to give them an extra bed? Does their child live in that room? Do they share names with each other and/or children? Does relationship statuses change for close family members? How much of a role do genetics play on the child?
"Only the educated are free." - Epictetus

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: What are horses for? Dwarf Families? (Newb Questions)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

Horses are milkable, and are for butchering. You can't use them for anything else, granted trade caravans use them to haul trade goods.

For the couple, you don't have to worry too much about another bed...though adding an extra one might not be a bad idea.

Their child I THINK lives with them...But i'm not so sure on that one.

Neither am I sure about their names...

And there are some genetic things that are passed on. But usually it doesn't have that great an impact on the dwarf or gameplay.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:34 pm »

Mounts and work animals aren't implemented yet, at least not for the player, so horses aren't particularly useful right now.

They can be milked, though. See: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Milk

Dwarves don't share names at all, they're always generated from scratch. Relationship status is always overridden by family bonds, it seems (I don't think you can, say, have a grudge on your brother, because his relationship to you is always "brother"), but I could be wrong.

There is some level of heredity inherited. I think it picks appearance modifiers from the parents randomly, and I'm not sure about attributes.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

logismo

• Bay Watcher
  • the answer to life the universe and everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:01:23 pm »

Thank you so much! I'm a tiny bit less nooby.  ;D
"Only the educated are free." - Epictetus

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:18 pm »

I believe that attributes are also passed on, as the children of one of my dwarven couples were all strong, like their parents.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:42:18 pm »

I believe, and I hope I'm not wrong, that animals also pass on their traits.  So aim for keeping animals with desirable features (gigantic, colors you like) and cull the rest.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:41 am »

Two of my dwarves have become a couple and decided to share a room. Do I need to give them an extra bed? Does their child live in that room? Do they share names with each other and/or children? Does relationship statuses change for close family members? How much of a role do genetics play on the child?
As far as I know, you can keep them separate by having each have their own room without causing an issue.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:39:59 am »

If both dwarves have a room, you will end up with two dwarves with two beds each.
If this is a problem for you, give one room to another dwarf.
Note that while married couples will share a bedroom and dining room, they will not share an office.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:54:48 am »

Also.  Babys stay with the mother all the time so dont need a room, a child however can be assigned its own room (and will sleep there).  This doesnt seem to be necessary however as i've seen them crashing in their parents room too.  However 3 dwarves sharing 1 bed seems a bit tricky to me, maybe 2 want to sleep simultaneously so i give the child its own rather than risk someone ending up in the dorm
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:48:25 pm »

However 3 dwarves sharing 1 bed seems a bit tricky to me, maybe 2 want to sleep simultaneously so i give the child its own rather than risk someone ending up in the dorm
Maybe the beds are big family beds that can hold several dwarves simultaneously. I think such a thing was frequent in the past for humans, at least in Europe.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:02 pm »

Married couples automatically share their beds/bedrooms. Children will use their parent's room(s) until they are grown, but will also seek out any available bedroom for themselves. ANd once they have their own bedroom, they will continue to use their parent's room(s) if closer than their own room, including storing their gear in their parent's room(s) and, IIRC, their bed. However, if the parent's bed(s) are in use, they'll then use their own. Note: Parents will NOT user their children's rooms nor their beds.

I don't know if grown children stop using their parent's bedrooms at this time. I've never tracked it that far in any of my fortresses.

Horses are currently for milking and eating, same as Cows, Donkeys, and Camels.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!