Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: whats the best computer out there?  (Read 2920 times)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: whats the best computer out there?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:22 pm »

thats cool to know! thanks!

and.. so your saying the wonderful acer with a ton of hard drive space and RAM would be really good if it had a video card? if yes, which one? and should we take it to a PC guy to put in or what? because thats basically the best one we found for its price and so forth.. so..

E: just curious... if you lay a tower on its side is it possible to break some of the innards? ours currently is not, but just for future notice
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:12:41 pm by ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:46 pm »

So, for some actual numbers, 3 GHz is pretty good for a single processor.  These days it's a good idea to have at least a dual-core processor, but probably not for the games you're looking to play.  Still, see if you can find an affordable machine with something like a 2.5 GHz dual-core.  It might make your machine a bit more future-ready.

With RAM, you won't be able to use more than 4 GB with a 32-bit processor even if you have it, but the sky may as well be the limit with a 64-bit processor.  4 is still pretty good though.  2 should be fine for your goals.

Video cards have a really high turnover rate in the market, so rather than look at the specs, I choose based on price.  I don't know the difference between nVidia and ATI cards (those are the two major manufacturers), but I can tell you from personal experience that nVidia makes the most horrible and feature-deprived user interfaces known to man.  DF has a pretty bad UI as an alpha, but nVidia's control panels are worse and more buggy as finished products.  I don't know if ATI is better but I'm going to find out soon because I'm switching.  Anyway, I look for the card that costs $200 to $300 and gets good reviews because that's what the Good Card O-The Week will be.  There's also ones that are $400 or $500, but I don't need that much.  For you, I would recommend spending about $60 to $100 on a card, but when you find one, try to look up what reviews it's getting so you can get an idea of how good it is and how hot it tends to run.  If it sounds like the video card is taking up a large percentage of your budget, don't worry, because it should.  CPU and video card together should be around half the price of the entire machine.  If you're getting a premade machine, find out what the video card is (if it doesn't have one, find another premade PC that does) and look online to find out what that card costs by itself.

We all have our own ideas of how much storage space is enough.  1 TB (1,000 GB, or 1,000,000 MB) is popular right now.  I prefer having a relatively small primary drive where the OS and programs live, and a large secondary drive to store all my files on.  If you install lots of games, download lots of media, and are not in the habit of deleting things, then more is better.  500 GB is still pretty good if you're not a huge media user though, so you could save a bit of money for other things by getting a system with a smaller hard drive, if you can find one.  A PC-builder will fix you up with whatever combo you want.

So try finding a system with those specs, and if that doesn't work (and even if it does), you should try to find a small PC-builder.  They'll let you fully customize it for a better price, and they'll give more helpful advice too.  I'm serious about this.  It's a bit more work and you don't get it as quickly, but you'll be happier with your machine for the duration of its working life.  No, I'm not some sort of marketing plant for them, though I know I sound like it.  I just have seen what's available at the big-box stores and what's available through the little guys, and the big box stores got nuthin' on the little guys.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 02:51:49 pm »

thats cool to know! thanks!

and.. so your saying the wonderful acer with a ton of hard drive space and RAM would be really good if it had a video card? if yes, which one? and should we take it to a PC guy to put in or what? because thats basically the best one we found for its price and so forth.. so..

E: just curious... if you lay a tower on its side is it possible to break some of the innards? ours currently is not, but just for future notice

No problem!

Laying it on its side is fine as long as no cables drop down into the fans when you do it (the fans will let you know in no uncertain terms), and you really should only do it when it's powered off to avoid damaging the hard drive or spinning CDs or whatever.  The real concern is ventilation.  Make sure you're not cutting off any vents that would allow air to enter the case.  Even then, towers that are standing up have a higher surface area and will tend to keep more cool than ones that are lying down.

Yes, the Acer is pretty good with the exception of the video card.  You could buy the acer and then buy a video card, then either install it yourself or ask a friend to install it for you.  If you don't know anyone who can do that, take it to a PC repair shop or builder.  If you do it yourself, I'd recommend reading up online on how to do it, preferably with a video or two showing how it's done.  It's not as hard as that makes it sound, but there are things you should know to do and not to do.  Don't take it to a big box like Wal Mart or Best Buy, they have odd ideas on how to service computers.  My stepmother took her business and personal laptop in to get the keyboard repaired and Best Buy reformatted (erased) her hard drive instead.  She's been a little... resentful towards them ever since.  That may be an isolated incident but I wouldn't take my chances.  I trust the hobbyist who's been doing it for years over the service tech who's just there for the summer.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »

recommend any video cards? because that is probably what we're going to do.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »

Don't know any off the top of my head, no.  Just look on google for cards in the $100 range.

Please note, your motherboard or power supply might not support the card.  I transplanted a video card from my 2006 machine to my sister's prefab, and ended up having to transplant the power supply too because the card requires a PCI-E cable from the power supply to be plugged directly into the card, and her power supply didn't have one of those cables. 

The power supply, by the way, is what the power cord plugs into and is usually a boxy thing that sits in the top rear of the tower.  It delivers power of appropriate voltages to all the various components.  Most of the cables inside the case belong to it.  They're fairly cheap, but you need to make sure the wattage is high enough to power all the components.  Usually not a problem.

So yeah, attempting to modify that prefab acer machine may work, but it may lead to more headaches too.  Do what you can to find out if the computer will support the card you choose before buying either. 

Hate to sound like a broken record, but a builder will sort all that out for you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:45:00 pm by Makbeth »

Pages: 1 2 [3]